Hens eating feathers and pecking at rump skin -- not sure what to do

Mar 26, 2024
Hi all! My hens are 10 months old.

We are dealing with a huge feather eating and pecking at bare rump skin. We have a mixed flock of 3 Buff Orps, 2 Golden Wyandottes, and 1 Barred Rock.

This is one example; they are all similar to this:
IMG-3248.jpg

We have had zero issues with the flock until a couple weeks ago. The treadle feeder ran out of food for a day by mistake. (This is all on me; it was an honest mistake due to the whole family coming down with a flu bug, so please be kind.) I refilled the feeder immediately. During this time, I suddenly noticed my Wyandottes had lost most of their feathers around their large tail feathers. Then my Barred Rock was losing feathers in the rump area. I then noticed the third Buff's arched tail feathers were shorn short. During all this, the pecking of rump skin began. The majority of it was done by 2 Buffs. One Wyandotte was so bloodied I had to remove her from the flock for 2-3 days to heal-up.

I cannot find any mite evidence. I think it could be the stress of the feeder running out of food, but there has been zero resolve after refilling the feeder. I have noticed for a while they all seemed to excessively preen. But beyond that and feather picking and skin pecking, I haven't seen any other symptoms. Everyone is still laying eggs.

So far I've tried:
- cleaning out the entire hen house and misting hens and soaking hen house with Manna Pro Poultry enzyme spray in case it's mites.
- removing the top Buff to hen "jail" for several days. The feather/skin pecking seemed to stop, but then the 2nd Buff started in on the Wyandottes and Barred Rock, going after their bare rumps. I have removed them both from the flock for now but... the Barred Rock is going after the Wyandottes bare rumps, pecking base of tail feathers and bare rump skin.
- looking for mites and lice, though none are visible. I have to try this at night and see if I missed them but I'm not finding anything during the day.
- giving them mealworms 3x week this past week for a protein boost, in case it's a protein issue.
- adding wood ash to their dust bath areas.

It doesn't seem to be boredom. Absolutely nothing has changed about their run, coop, etc save the feeder incident. I placed some piles of leaves, sticks, etc., in the run and they seem to love it. Yet, no permanent resolve to the feather picking and skin pecking.

A good chicken mentor friend recommended treating them all topically with ivermectin, to make sure it isn't anything that's being missed.

I'm at whit's end. Any ideas or help??

As a side note: this isn't just me. A friend of mine in Canada said there are many of flocks going through this, and longtime chicken owners have no idea what is going on. They're all super frustrated. So I don't feel alone, but I do not have a solution yet either.

I've actually thought about sewing or knitting some kind of cover to be fitted under the vent but over the bare skin. Just until they molt and grow new feathers. I just don't know what else to do...

You need to check the coop at night in order to look for a roost mite infestation - wipe a paper towel along the underside of the roost and shine a flashlight in any seams in the wood.

I have no idea what's in the enzyme spray (need a direct link to product) so I don't know if it's effective against mites or lice.

For protein, you're better off feeding them straight up meat or fish. But I doubt this is a protein issue. Not sure, honestly - I'm thinking it's a feather pecking issue where now that it's started, the birds are attracted to the already bare and irritated areas on their flockmates.

@rosemarythyme thank you for replying!

This is the product. It has very high reviews and seems many have found it effective. 🤷‍♀️
https://www.mannapro.com/poultry/supplements-care/poultry-protector

Good to know about protein sources. I'll reconsider changing feed and try some meat/tuna. I do agree with you about it starting as an issue and it's turned into a habit or thing due to bare skin. So I get that. I might try some a no-pick lotion. I tried a DIY blue kote from Lisa Steele of Daily Eggs. It just attracted them more to the bare areas 😞 (It's made of honey, lemon oil, and blue food dye... so maybe it's just a poor concept to begin with.)

Well reviews sound good on the enzyme spray though I can't confirm or deny that it works, as I've never tried it. A lot of the reviewers seem to be spraying it around randomly without an actual infestation, and very few confirm what "bugs" they actually have - so I don't know. If it works then that's great.

I don't find Blukote to be all that effective as a deterrent, like the blue coloring doesn't seem to really affect behavior. If you're going to try no-pick lotion be aware it may need to be reapplied rather frequently in order to work (like twice a day) and it also does stain a bit, though not as badly as Blukote. But it wouldn't hurt to try it to see if you can start breaking this cycle of behavior, even if it's not a long term solution.

Hello! Give them yogurt and cooked.beef on top with a couple of yolks. They need a good boost of protein. After that, give them some leafy greens that will take some time to eat. I would also set up another feed station.

Back
Top Bottom