Mystery!!!! Missing feathers.

As an observation technique, can you set up a Pet-Cam or like somehow set up a Zoom with yourself in a tablet/laptop combination? The "Zoom" is a way to observe your situation and basically free but you'll need to first sign into to both. Just a thought, assuming handled ethically minded.
Yes that is a good idea. I was wondering if I could set up my tablet and some how record during the day what was happening.

Yesterday I checked on them in the AM, no issues. Hubby took lunch break at home, still no issues at 12. But when I got home at 3 she had blood coming from a broken butt feather.

Similar thing happened to her last Thursday, but it was fine-no issues Fri/Sat/Sun 😵‍💫😤😠. I have never been so obsessive about checking the hens!

Yes I’m 100% positive it’s not mites/lice. And I know it’s not bullying, because I sit and watch when I toss out sunflower seeds and everyone eats peacefully together etc.

But that’s interesting you have a hen that has a weird tick and likes to just pluck feathers.

My initial thing was to figure out if it was self inflicted or from a flock mate. But it’s been hard because I have never personally observed it happening. :/

We have an urban flock, so not alot of room but I do have a wire dog crate we could set up in the run. How long should she be isolated? Or the picker/if I can figure out who it is…

I guess after your post, it has me thinking maybe it’s the tiny chochin bantam we got in November, because we never had this issue with our main 4 ladies over the last 3 years.
It's not all that abnormal for birds to pluck others feathers just because, I see it here (at BYC) a lot. It isn't 'bullying' really, some birds are just attracted to anything out of the norm & peck at it. Its frustrating! & sometimes, yes, it is bugs or lack of food or nutrition, lack of space, boredom, over grooming, etc. but a lot of times it really is just because they are jerks. :lau

I find that usually feathers grow back pretty quickly, though sometimes it doesn't happen until a molt. I always keep my bird separated until feathers are back - wether it's the plucker or the pluckee separated. Usually a couple weeks. I don't know that you'd be able to keep one in a dog crate that long. Maybe try pinless peepers on the bantam & see if that fixes the issue? Or, as mentioned, try a camera & see if you can catch the culprit. Or you could lock the banty up for a few days & see if it seems to help & if it does maybe consider culling for the health of the flock? (& culling can mean rehoming, not just dispatching) I would imagine sometimes you cannot fix a plucker. Especially with limited space, like you have.

Last edited:
I’m attaching a picture of the feed
Ah, so not "FeatherFixer", which is a layer feed, thus the higher protein level(and low calcium level for all flock members) than some of us thought.

And I know it’s not bullying, because I sit and watch when I toss out sunflower seeds and everyone eats peacefully together etc.
Well, you might probably would not see the feather picking when they are all busy eating treats.

it has me thinking maybe it’s the tiny chochin bantam we got in November, because we never had this issue with our main 4 ladies over the last 3 years.
That would be a huge clue for sure. Sounds like the mystery is solved.

Ah, so not "FeatherFixer", which is a layer feed, thus the higher protein level(and low calcium level for all flock members) than some of us thought.
Ah, so not "FeatherFixer", which is a layer feed, thus the higher protein leve(and low calcium level for all flock members) than some of us thought.

Well, you might probably would not see the feather picking when they are all busy eating treats.

That would be a huge clue for sure. Sounds like the mystery is solved.

So is this a good kind of feed for the current issues I’m having with my flock? And if you don’t recommend sunflower seeds, is there a better kind of seed I can toss in the wood chips for them to dig at that would be better?

"So is this a good kind of feed for the current issues I’m having with my flock? And if you don’t recommend sunflower seeds, is there a better kind of seed I can toss in the wood chips for them to dig at that would be better?"

Looks to be a decent 'all flock' type of feed.
You know you need to provide a source of calcium for your active layers?

Better to 'clutter' the run for enrichment than to feed treats.
Post pics of your run to show us what it looks like.
I give some scratch grains in the mornings to get them out of the coop while I clean.

Back
Top Bottom