Anyone graft chicks to a broody at 14 days?

Saveria

Mother to Many
Mar 25, 2021
Vermont
I have a broody hen that decided to sit at around May 17th. Our hatchery order is coming around Friday the 2nd, and I was wondering if I should try to get some chicks under her. I can brood them just fine, but I would love to get her the mothering experience she is seeking (and get her out of the nesting box!).

I know they are expecting chicks to hatch at 18-22 days, this would be only about 14. I know that chickens can't count, but maybe there are hormonal changes they go through with time? She is a dedicated broody, so I am thinking of giving her a chance. Does anyone have experience with giving broodies chicks a little early? I could also wait a few days, but the last time I tried to put week (or so) old chicks under a broody, the chicks did not graft to her right away, which made for a funny first few days. 😅

Thanks!

Last edited:
I personally don't worry about that experienced broody stuff. I find that hens that have successfully hatched and raised chicks can mess up the second time around just like first time broody hens can do great.

I agree it is worth a try. I don't know if it will work or not, I suspect it will, but I can guarantee you that is you don't try it will not work. And yes, the younger the chicks the better.

I once gave 4 two-week-old buff orpington chicks to a broody hen. (They were on sale at the feed store for 75% off and I couldn't resist.) She accepted them with no issues, but the rest of the story is that the broody had just hatched seven chicks of her own, and hadn't taken her own chicks out of the nest box yet. I put the buff orps underneath the broody at night, and the next morning all existed the nest box as one happy family.

I have also given three-week-old chicks to a broody hen that already had her own chicks of the same age. She also accepted the adopted chicks just fine.

Whether your broody accepts the chicks depends a lot on her temperament and personality. I've had broodies that immediately accepted feedstore chicks, broodies that rejected chicks they did not themselves hatch, and one that began attacking the chicks after I switched them out for her eggs one night. (She killed one before I could rescue the others. I gave those chicks to another broody and she accepted them immediately.) Definitely give it a try, but monitor and be ready to intervene if necessary. Good luck!

I was bummed, but I decided not to do it. We have been treating for lice for a number of weeks, and my broody had one little patch of lice eggs on her still. I thought she was clean and that it would be okay, but as more things unfolded I realized it wasn't a wise choice.

I am sad for her, too, because she was broody for months last year. I was hoping this could snap her out of it after the chicks grew up, but I know sometimes they just go right back to being broody again. I don't want to have to employ the box, but my last die hard broody, an orpington died young. I didn't do a necropsy, so I'll never know for sure, but I was afraid it was from all those months of sitting. :tongue

Back
Top Bottom