Anyone grow and process horseradish?

in the fall we wait for the first hard frost that kills off the greens also the greens can make a nice spicey addition to a salad just have to strip them out and dont put alot in

Thanks for all the information. Something tells me we are really going to enjoy our new crop this year!

I usually harvest in the fall, but haven't in two years. I am going to try some tomorrow. I have about 4 plants 6" tall.
A couple years ago I washed, dried of with a paper towel then froze in a food saver bag. 6 months later it was great, no lose of flavor. I had read not to freeze, anybody try to freeze it.
Thanks

This year I froze some after I processed it. I haven't tried it yet, but in a few more months I will. I tried the same thing you did, freezing the root in a food saver bag. I never made it with them. The roots came out really soft like so I composted them.

Here is my great grandfather's recipe for horseradish sauce, to be eaten with the roast beef of old England:

Take a root of horseradish, wash peel and grate.

Put it into a jar with half a teaspoon of coarse salt, and a teaspoon of sugar.

Add sufficient white vinegar to barely cover.

When you want to make the sauce, spoon out a couple of desert spoonfuls into a dish and add double cream (I think you call it heavy cream) until you have a consistency like mustard. Delicious!

It's funny what horseradish goes along/mixed with: ketchup, mustard, mayo and now heavy cream. Has anyone ever have it in a relish? What other mixtures are out there?

Back
Top Bottom