anyone grow their own veg?

We doin a veggie garden,fruit trees and vines around the coop,and a witches garden this year.

We usin the coop poop from last year to fertilize the garden,along with all the pine shavings,and leaves that fell this fall.They are already in there decomposing.

Besides my dogs and chickens, GARDENING is my other passion.

I pretty much have most of my front and backyard planted. I love to plant tomatoes, beans, cukes, zukes and everything in between.

I started tomato seedlings and working on the beds right now. Hoping to clean up and get things done. With such a LARGE garden, it gets overwhelming.

PotterWatch: You live really close by to me and I would love to meet you and talk chickens. I have a vast collection of seeds so we could do a in person trade. If it interest you, pm me.

I so want to get rid of my grass too but not sure if it is true but a friend of mine said that a certain % had to be grass. I no longer have a driveway because I have my planters on it.
roll.png
I have not had any complaints but I do remember reading about a Southbay couple that was fighting the city because they did not have ANY grass.

Nancy

Royd, that is incredible. How deep are the posts? Forgive what may be a dumb question, but do you start terracing at the bottom or the top? That garden looks outstanding!

Last summer my best crops were tomatoes, radish, okra and peppers. I am fertilizing with the chicken coop poop this year, and clearing off more trees to increase the sun in my planting area. I had so may tomatoes I couln't give them all away. I grow heirloom varieties, so a loy of people were ready for something other than the "red, grocery store" tomatoes. I don't care for regular cukes, but I love lemon cukes.

Quote:
I have been told that our city ordinances don't allow you to grow food in your front yard. To that I say... phooey! The neighborhood I live in, my front garden will look much nicer than the weeds that some people call a lawn in their front yard.

Great terrace Royd!

Potterwatch...there are some many plants that people don't realize are edible you could have an entire year's worth of food growing and who would know?? Nasturtiums, flowering kale, amaranth, Johnny jump ups, red lettuce, sunflowers....lots of possibilities!

We used to have only a backyard garden and then yearning for a farm, we set looking for one, after a long time we found it! and now are farming full time...growing all kinds of non GMO plants. It's hard work. We sell the veggies as well as our poultry, eating eggs, hatching eggs, bunnies, goats, goat milk, etc for our living.

Work that soild and make it as rich and alive as you can prior to planting. You might also want to get your soil tested to see what needs to be amended. This is really low cost and done by the Cooperative extension!

Best of luck! Nancy

----------------------------------

Our currrent auctions are:

Bonus Lavendar Orpington Eggs & 10+ Blue/Black/Splash Orpington Eggs
10+ Blue Cooper Marans & Splash Marans (Mostly Blues!) eggs
12+ Buff Orpington Hatching Eggs
10+ Crested and Non Crested Pekin Duck Eggs - No Reserve!
[URL]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=436662] Pickup only - Pure Coronation Sussex Rooster at the Point of Crowing![/url]

Quote:
Here's the story, behind the terrace.

When I first moved here, it was a dirt road, and the property rolled gently, down to the ditch....Well, when they paved the road, in the process of creating the concrete drainage, they chopped off the front of my property, and it dropped, abruptly, 6 ft, into the ditch....I basically lost about 450 sq. ft. of usable property....Then, I also had to deal with the erosion problem.

As luck would have it, I had helped demolish an old concrete fence system, shortly before all of this, and the 2x6x10' boards, were just laid up, in my yard.

I've done formwork, for years, so, building 6 pyramidal slipforms, was no problem.

Eventually, by the time I had completed the job, I had moved, probably, 40 c.yd. of dirt, by throwing it up into the garden, so that I could properly install the forms and boards.

The forms are 14" on the bottom, 12" on top....I just staked up the boards, and slipped the forms over them. Then, blocked the bottom of the slot with an insert....The piers go into the ground 3', and this is really not enough.

Due to the weight of the dirt, since '87, they have leaned about 3"...Last summer, I got ambitious, dug out from behind each run, and down to the bottom of each pier. Using several jacks and washing the dirt out, from the back side of the pier, I was able to straighten them out....About 2 days work.

If I were to do it, again, I'd tie the piers together, with a poured beam, under the soil, so that everything would be a unit.

The other thing that I would do, would have been to make two wider terraces, instead of three....As it is, I have to work the terrace by hand...It's too narrow for a tiller.

The big advantage of the terrace is that I have different levels of ground, which hold different amounts of water.

ETA: The Jacksonville Journal actually sent a reporter out, to talk to me, because everyone saw me working on it, for about 6 or 8 months.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom