Anyone grown Quinoa?

HenFriend

Chirping
7 Years
May 5, 2012
West Wales, UK
I like to grow something new each year and bought a packet of quinoa seed which I have sown last week. The only thing is it sound a bit fiddly and complicatied to harvest and prepare. The packet says the grains have to be washed to remove the soapy coating, has anyone done this and wwas it successful?

Hi

I like trying something new each year too, that why I tried growing amaranth, a close relative of quinoa, last year. I did not get any good grain out of it (tried, but too hard to harvest) but the flowers were pretty- very heavy, too and needed a tomato cage to avoid flopping over. That said, it was the "Love Lies Bleeding" variety- an ornamental. Maybe if I had gotten a true grain variety I could have gotten a useable edible harvest. I think quinoa is more or less the same.

The trouble with harvesting the grains, for me, was I didn't know if they were ready or not. Did I take them from the live plant, or dry the plant first and shake it out? Then, I had no possible way to separate the seeds from the tiny crumbly little petals. I just gave up.

There are two books that talk about home grain raising. I have not read either, but have heard of them. "Homegrown Whole Grains: Grow, Harvest, and Cook Wheat, Barley, Oats, Rice, Corn and More" includes quinoa. There's also one called "Small-Scale Grain Raising: An Organic Guide to Growing, Processing, and Using Nutritious Whole Grains for Home Gardeners and Local Farmers". I don't know if it mentions quinoa or not, but you could check the library or a bookstore.

Hopefully someone else could be of more help.

Back
Top Bottom