Anyone had a chicken get stuck on its back??

This is really strange! I'd get him to the vet to be honest if you can afford it/want to. If he is wriggling he probably wants to get up but can't. As I said earlier, the weight of the organs on the solid lungs can cause breathing issues.
Maybe that's his problem. After he lies there stuck for a few minutes, he CAN'T get up for the simple reason that he can't breathe. The question is, why can't he get up right away, as most chickens would? Or even, how and why is he ending up on his back, as most chickens would not? When dust bathing, most chickens remain on one side or another, not their backs. Are his spurs too long? I'd check for weaknesses or injuries to his legs.

OK now this is getting more of a problem then a laughing matter (although still a bit funny) I just helped him up for the 5th time! I didn't bother with another photo as it is the same spot as the previous time... Looks like he was dust bathing, so could this mean something is wrong with him? - his wings or what? Is it the wings that help them up off their back or do chickens just not ever go on their back? What muscle or body part does a chicken use to get up from back position?
Most chickens can reach up close to their necks with their legs and scratch/backpedal until they get enough grip to flip over. Next time you notice this, maybe setup a time lapse and don’t help him. See what happens (check frequently but see what he does when you can’t help him up)

Maybe that's his problem. After he lies there stuck for a few minutes, he CAN'T get up for the simple reason that he can't breathe. The question is, why can't he get up right away, as most chickens would? Or even, how and why is he ending up on his back, as most chickens would not? When dust bathing, most chickens remain on one side or another, not their backs. Are his spurs too long? I'd check for weaknesses or injuries to his legs.
He easily jumps (as he does not fly since Silkies don't) to get over things or onto big rocks or up/down from the roost. There are easier ways to walk around objects or ramps up/down but he jumps easily instead by choice, so legs are strong.
Spurs are not long, maybe an inch.
..Must be some sort of weakness in (back?) muscles used to get up or roll over..
How long can a chicken be on their back before they stop breathing?

Just found this thread while trying to see if my upsidedown chicken had anything wrong with her. Same behavior, on her back, thought she was dead, turned her over.. just fine. Anyone ever figure out if this cause for concern?
I think my rooster had back problems and wasn't fertilising the hens either, no solution sorry for my boy except cull ☹️

I also came here searching for why I've a chicken that keeps ending up on her back and she can not get up again. Found her yesterday out in the freerange foraging area in the pouring rain while all the others had run back into the pen. She was drenched! Last time I found one (can't tell the meaties apart so not sure if it's the same bird) it was in a safer area but also outside. Poor bird was drenched. I dried her, warmed her and put her back in the warmest spot inside in the middle of a bunch of the others to help heat her up. She's big but nothing out of the ordinary (not even 7 weeks old yet). First time I saw it I assumed heart attack that I didn't see coming (I can normally tell two or three days before they are going to have heart or breathing issues). She gave me a start when I saw her legs aimimg at the sky kick a bit while I was getting over to her. Turned her over, she had an immediate diarrhea bowel movement, went inside and ate.

This time the drenched bird looked distressed for about an hour then came out to eat. I'm only in my second year of chickens and so far only meaties. Never saw any of my quails do this. I thought it was going to be some common chicken thing I didn't know about but it appears to not be common.

Sure would like to know more about this for when we get our layers.

I thought it was going to be some common chicken thing I didn't know about but it appears to not be common.

Sure would like to know more about this for when we get our layers.
With meat chickens, it makes sense to turn it right side up and let it keep growing until butcher time.

But layer-type chickens almost never get stuck on their backs. If you find one that does it repeatedly, I would butcher that one (probably kinder than having it get stuck sometime when you might not notice.)

Back
Top Bottom