Anyone had a duck hatch chicken or turkey eggs... Will she handle them

Peaches

Chirping
14 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Stanwood, Wa.
My muscovy duck has been on my turkey's eggs for 28 days and they (some) are hatching... one got squished. I am thinking I should take them to a broody pen instead of leaving them with her because I just don't think she will keep them warm enough and there may likely be issues with water and so on... but, still not sure - would love to leave them with her... Ideas? anyone have experience with this? If it was a chicken hatching the eggs, no problem.

Well, we have a khaki female that has suddenly gone broody, made a nest and has been sitting on it for 14 days. We'll see how it goes. I'm curious, like you are!

There's a thread on this same topic from some time back involving a female duck that successfully incubated a clutch of eggs. However, after reading and see the photos, you'll see she DID need some assistance and intervention at hatching time.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4661498

Good luck with yours! I'm watching our girl like a hawk. Would love to have a few khaki babies this spring!

Re; the Khaki.. I'm not talking about a duck on duck eggs, but a duck on TURKEY eggs! Anyway, I have my answer ... The eggs started to hatch.. one ok, but by this afternoon, FOUR more turkey poults had hatched but all got squished, almost out of their eggs. Marge the duck tried, but big duck feet overwhelm the more fragile turkey eggs. That said, Amelia the turkey got back on the next in spite of the fact she has not incubated these at all ... (she made Marge get off) and she started talking to the one little one... so I was able to move her to a crate in a side pen with the baby, which it appears she is keeping warm. I am hoping this one little one will make it with her proper turkey mom.

I won't allow ducks on turkey eggs again
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom