Anyone had their chickens lose a toenail?

srfjeld

Chirping
8 Years
May 13, 2011
Portland
I came back from 2 days of camping and noticed my 14 wk old buff sitting down a lot when she was free ranging. Just seemed weird to me so I checked her out. Then I noticed what looked like some dirt/mud caked on one of the tips of her toes so I pulled it off... and it immediately started bleeding. I think what I pulled off was a scab. yikes! I hurt the poor girl. So, I soaked her foot in a warm water/peroxide mix and then put straight peroxide on it, followed by some neosporin and very carefully bandaged it out of some non-stick pads and medical tape.... didn't have the vet stuff. She looks pretty gimpy now, but she seems to be doing fine otherwise. Did I miss anything? Has this happened to anyone else? I'd love some insight on what else I should do or what I should expect.

Thank you!
smile.png

I've had one whose toenail broke off and regrew, I didn't treat it seeing as the base was still firmly attached to the toe, it just broke off so it looked like there was no toenail.
Sounds like you did a really good thorough job on yours though. Well done
thumbsup.gif
clap.gif

Last edited:
I had a polish rooster who just loved to be out in the freezing weather in winter(Utah gets really cold in winter) He liked to play in the snow which I did not get at all. After about a month or so I noticed 4 of his toenails were missing! 2 from each foot! IDK HOW this happened but they took FOREVER to even start growing back.

I had one with a broken toenail that bled a lot. I tried to stop it with corn starch and when that didn't work, took her to the vet. It healed quickly. I've since learned that spider webs can stop the bleeding!

For those of you who've had your girls lose their toenails, did the ends look a little black? It doesn't look alarmingly black, I'm assuming it's just dried blood.

My rooster yanked his entire toenail off more than once. Foot was a mess, toe looked like a black ended stump where the blood had dried on and after the third time his toenail grew in backward. Which is just as well if he cant seem to keep himself from scratching it off!!!

Back
Top Bottom