Anyone had this happen to a duck egg before?

Jul 24, 2019
Boerne TX
I recently hatched a clutch of eggs that were supposed to be crested Pekin/black Swedish. I had received a dozen eggs, only 5 of which were good (I don’t know how properly they were stored, because the lady had written the date that they were laid on the eggs and some were two weeks old). 4 eggs were about 5 days ahead of the last egg, which I put in late because there wasn’t enough room before I could count vitalities. About 4 days prior to lockdown, one egg was looking really weird with candling, I thought it had quit. It stopped moving, it looked super loose on the inside, so if I moved the egg it looked gross inside, I couldn’t see any veins, and the air cell wasn’t shrinking at all for hatching like its brothers and sisters were. I let it get a few days into lockdown, and then decided it was dead and better if I removed it now because it could jeopardize the others. I started to gently open it up, and I was greeted through the air cell with some blood and an breathing duckling! “What the heck?” Was my response as I put it back this was almost 5 days after I noticed it was looking weird. I thought I had cut the duckling a little because of the amount of blood from the minuscule cut in the membrane. 36ish hours later and nothing had happened. All other eggs that were due with it had hatched, one over 24 hours before and 2 only a few hours before. I took the iffy egg out and started to chip away a little shell to see if it was shrink wrapped and needed help. Again, the membrane started to bleed so I stopped and put some coconut oil on the inner membrane so I could see it. It was laced with blood veins still, which should have been absorbed already at this point probably about two days almost before. I thought that was super weird and put it back. A couple hours later I checked on it through the bator and it was no longer breathing. I stared at it for almost two minutes because it was possible that it was just breathing really slow. It wasn’t moving at all and it’s beak that was sticking out was closed and still . I took it out again and poked it and it was really limp, and was still not moving. I went to go throw it away and it started to breath again! By now I had thought it was dead twice and almost threw it away both times:confused:. I put it back, but it actually died a few hours later. I eggtopsied it,(was super disappointed because it was the silver a white color that I’ve never been able to hatch) and the yolk sack was completely unabsorbed and it still has all veins. This on almost day 30, and the others had already hatched! I didn’t get pictures, but the yolk looked really big to me. Too big to comfortably fit into its belly. Anyone have pictures of a yolk sack right before its supposed to get absorbed? I have no idea what happened to this egg, because it was also very malpositioned in the egg, hence no air cell shrinking. as far as I know it has no Muscovy in it unless the lady we got the eggs from lied to us.
Also just another little thing, none of them had crests which was a little disappointing. Statistically 50% of them don’t have the gene, 50% do but only some of those actually have crests. Also two of them are all yellow like a Pekin, but since they are supposed to be black Swedish too is that weird?

I recently hatched a clutch of eggs that were supposed to be crested Pekin/black Swedish. I had received a dozen eggs, only 5 of which were good (I don’t know how properly they were stored, because the lady had written the date that they were laid on the eggs and some were two weeks old). 4 eggs were about 5 days ahead of the last egg, which I put in late because there wasn’t enough room before I could count vitalities. About 4 days prior to lockdown, one egg was looking really weird with candling, I thought it had quit. It stopped moving, it looked super loose on the inside, so if I moved the egg it looked gross inside, I couldn’t see any veins, and the air cell wasn’t shrinking at all for hatching like its brothers and sisters were. I let it get a few days into lockdown, and then decided it was dead and better if I removed it now because it could jeopardize the others. I started to gently open it up, and I was greeted through the air cell with some blood and an breathing duckling! “What the heck?” Was my response as I put it back this was almost 5 days after I noticed it was looking weird. I thought I had cut the duckling a little because of the amount of blood from the minuscule cut in the membrane. 36ish hours later and nothing had happened. All other eggs that were due with it had hatched, one over 24 hours before and 2 only a few hours before. I took the iffy egg out and started to chip away a little shell to see if it was shrink wrapped and needed help. Again, the membrane started to bleed so I stopped and put some coconut oil on the inner membrane so I could see it. It was laced with blood veins still, which should have been absorbed already at this point probably about two days almost before. I thought that was super weird and put it back. A couple hours later I checked on it through the bator and it was no longer breathing. I stared at it for almost two minutes because it was possible that it was just breathing really slow. It wasn’t moving at all and it’s beak that was sticking out was closed and still . I took it out again and poked it and it was really limp, and was still not moving. I went to go throw it away and it started to breath again! By now I had thought it was dead twice and almost threw it away both times:confused:. I put it back, but it actually died a few hours later. I eggtopsied it,(was super disappointed because it was the silver a white color that I’ve never been able to hatch) and the yolk sack was completely unabsorbed and it still has all veins. This on almost day 30, and the others had already hatched! I didn’t get pictures, but the yolk looked really big to me. Too big to comfortably fit into its belly. Anyone have pictures of a yolk sack right before its supposed to get absorbed? I have no idea what happened to this egg, because it was also very malpositioned in the egg, hence no air cell shrinking. as far as I know it has no Muscovy in it unless the lady we got the eggs from lied to us.
Also just another little thing, none of them had crests which was a little disappointing. Statistically 50% of them don’t have the gene, 50% do but only some of those actually have crests. Also two of them are all yellow like a Pekin, but since they are supposed to be black Swedish too is that weird?
No idea,very odd though

C15EEA37-0CBD-49B0-AE8C-433FA5320D16.jpeg

anyway, these are the ones I did get

I had something similar happen. I ordered Khaki Campbell eggs from Ebay(big mistake). Out if a dozen eggs only 5 hatched. I complained to the guy that the eggs were not fertile because as I candled them during incubation, and no development, I opened them and the yolk was very runny and no bulleye.
After they all hatched, I had one that showed development, but after a few days after the others hatched, I figured it had died and decided to do an eggtopsy, only to crack it open and find a yellow, very alive duckling! It definetly was not a Khaki because of the coloring.
Since it was obviously not the same breed as the others, whatever it was had a longer incubation period than the others. Some breeds take up to 35 days til hatching.
Unfortunately, even tho I put the duckling back in to hopefully absorb its still very large sac, it didnt make it. I felt terrible.

Last edited:
I had something similar happen. I ordered Khaki Campbell eggs from Ebay(big mistake). Out if a dozen eggs only 5 hatched. I complained to the guy that the eggs were not fertile because as I candled them during incubation, and no development, I opened them and the yolk was very runny and no bulleye.
After they all hatched, I had one that showed development, but after a few days after the others hatched, I figured it had died and decided to do an eggtopsy, only to crack it open and find a yellow, very alive duckling! It definetly was not a Khaki because of the coloring.
Since it was obviously not the same breed as the others, whatever it was had a longer incubation period than the others. Some breeds take up to 35 days til hatching.
Unfortunately, even tho I put the duckling back in yo hopefully absorb its still very large sac, it didnt make it. I felt terrible.
Yep, incubation can be ruthless on the heart

Back
Top Bottom