anyone hatching around jan. 19th?

I now have 7 hatched, most are completely dry and fluffed. I'm wondering how long I should wait on the remaining 5 eggs before calling the hatch done and moving the kids into the brooder. Any ideas?

ARGH!!! Maran sadness in my house! 14 set and NONE hatched!!
hit.gif
I am giving them 1 more day in the hatcher, and then I will open a few to see if I can figure out what in the world happened!

I have Mille Batams hatching on the 29th, and there are EEs and Barred Cochin Bantams, and 2 cotournix quail eggs about half done. AND there are about 56 eggs in the mail on their way to my house as I type this!!
ep.gif
wee.gif
It is the only way I can pretend it is spring for another 3 months!

I never really thought that these eggs I set would ever really get to hatch time. There were 12 eggs that made it to hatch (started with 17). 10 hatched, one was an early quitter and the 12th was fully developed with the exception of intestines not drawn in. The last little babies I had to help out as they were shrink wrapped. One is doing well and the other had to be culled as it had legs that wouldn't work and a weird head. I was sad to do it, as were my kids, but they knew it had to be done. With the 26 meaties that arrived today, I now have 35 birds in the two brooders in the garage.

I must say, this whole experience of building the incubator (which held excellent temps and good moisture) and hatching out lovely baby chicks has really been terrific, incredible and down right amazing. My kids and I are just in awe of the beauty of it all. My DH is very pleased that the bator did what it was supposed to do, but he has missed out on all the excitement due to a business trip. He gave up his parking spot in the garage for my project. I married an amazing man.
wee.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom