Anyone hatching Dec 14th? Looking for hatching buddies for 1st hatch!

Hey question for you all .. Im supposed to go into LD tommorow.. I candled my buttons last night and dont see much three where kinda cloudy but it seemed like there was way too much room inside the eggs.. Should I just wait and see or is it pretty definite they arent gomnna make it ..

I am in the middle of a hatch of Rhode Island Reds. I have two Hovabators and have hatched out six incys full since Oct.. Two batches of White Rocks and four of the Reds. Now two bators full of Barred Rocks and I'll be all set come auction time. Chickenplucker

All is silent yet again today but I see so much has happened today! Congrats on your pips and hatches folks
big_smile.png

On my end though... how long after the due date should I wait before testing them(like holding them to my ear, tapping the shell, trying the "water trick") Today is only day 23 but I'm starting to wonder if I might have to consider the possibility of a lot of deaths or having to assist. Don't worry, sitting on my hands for now.... but this is getting very very frustrating for a first timer. They were /not/ that cold. At any point. Coldest they ever got was 95 and that was AFTER LD and right after putting all that water in and candling and everything. Prior to that the coldest they got was 99.5 >> I don't get it.

Suechick nope I think you got jipped to.Those aren't barred rocks or rhode island.To bad
hugs.gif
Really sucks when people aren't honest.Congrats on the chicks though!
This is my last batch of shipped eggs.Last 3 hatches haven't been great and waisted ALOT of money.I'm sticken with my own from now on unless I can pick them up from someone local.I believe it's just to many temperature changes when the eggs are shipped.Going from warm to cold to get here.
sekinkead Congrats on the pip!!
CoopCrazy I'm not deffinite on quail but should be the same thing...the egg should be completly dark except the air cell at the end by this point.I would just keep them in just to be safe and wait it out.Hope all goes well!
Rin I would wait till day 24 before calling it quits.I had some late hatches like that. Were they fully developed when you candled before LD day?

Quote:
LOL! Too funny!! If it makes you feel better....my grandmother and great aunt who have always had incredible skin and look considerably younger than they are, claim that Nivea is the only thing they have every used.

thumbsup.gif
to your wife!!!
lau.gif

Well I guess I will have a youthful back, arm and knee because she kept rubbing it in random places to irritate me lol.

Quote:
I had 4 scrambled, 6 not fertilized and 2 never started. I wiped 5 off with warm water around day 5 because the were covered in poop when I got them. They made the incubator smell so bad I started to think I had a bad egg. The smell went away but 3 of them quit. I had 2 blood rings on day 9. Then the 3 I need to check again. So I guess that means I really started with 20 (if you don't count the scrambled and non fertile eggs) that makes me feel better!
smile.png

If you count the 2 that never started, you only actually had 18 eggs. Even if you throw out all 3 of the questionable ones then you will be at 10/18. Not a terrible first hatch by any account.

I am sure you looked up what to do about poo on hatching eggs, but just in case you didn't I will tell you what I do. I just scrape off the bigger pieces with a butter knife or my fingernail
sickbyc.gif

I leave anything that isn't easily scraped off on the egg. I did have one blood ring out of 28 eggs this time but I think I would have risked losing more than one from trying to get them perfectly clean.

Sorry you have lost some but really you are running over 50% on your hatch rate of viable eggs so
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
So tomorrow then? And yes, all but two. I was expecting a staggered hatch because two were slightly smaller than they should have been, the other five seemed fine, totally dark inside aside from the airsack and a small very small bit of yellow in the pointy end (I figured a chick wouldn't cram anything small in there either so it seemed okay to me?) Is it safe to check now to see if anyone at least pipped internally? Everyones still quiet so humidity doesn't seem to be a factor especially since the humidity has already escaped back down to 55-60%

Quote:
I am certainly no expert, but if they were my eggs I would honestly check them every way I could short of cracking them. What is your humidity like in the incubator? As long as its >60% taking an egg or two out for a minute shouldn't hurt. I was stressing out at day 20 with my first hatch, I can't imagine waiting until day 23. Sorry your hatch isn't going as planned and I can just hope all will turn out well for you and your chicks!

Quote:
I am certainly no expert, but if they were my eggs I would honestly check them every way I could short of cracking them. What is your humidity like in the incubator? As long as its >60% taking an egg or two out for a minute shouldn't hurt. I was stressing out at day 20 with my first hatch, I can't imagine waiting until day 23. Sorry your hatch isn't going as planned and I can just hope all will turn out well for you and your chicks!

Well, I took them out and looked at them, (humidity was that low anyway) and one i see the shadow of /something/ pressed against the inside of the shell in the air cell... completely unmoving though and they all seem about even in size(all seven) now but seem... small and dried out inside... like right along the line of the air sack you see the veins and a clear yellowish effect along it... looks almost like their veigns are dried there with their fluids and the chicks inside seem sprawled no longer curled up so I see way more clear and less shadow inside. I don;t know what's going on?! D: Here, I'm going to add more and warmer water in a tub and will record it when i check them.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom