Anyone have a Buff Orpington lay at 15 weeks? I just did.

Ryguy3684

Here comes the Rooster
Premium Feather Member
May 29, 2020
Fauquier County, Virginia, United States.
My first group of Buff Orpingtons didn't lay until 26 weeks. I have 3 pullets, that I hatched this winter. I found a really small egg, not fairy egg small, in the the nest yesterday. I checked the cameras, and sure enough, one of my young ones was in that nest. She's 15 weeks, 16 weeks tomorrow. I noticed that my rooster tried, and failed, to mate her this week, but didn't think much of it. Has anyone had a BO lay this early?

The older birds started laying around the end of September
There's your sign.

When daylength is increasing vis a vis - hours of darkness, it is detected by the pineal gland in all animals stimulating the hormones that kick start production. By contrast, when days get shorter, it is a signal to stop production.
That's why it took your pullets so much longer to commence lay when POL came in the fall and why your current birds reaching POL kicked in so much sooner.

Last edited:
It is rare but this is the time of year till summer solstice that hens reach sexual maturity much sooner.
I hear anecdotes of chickens of many breeds lay as early as that.
That's interesting. I was not aware that the time of year had an effect on pullets laying. Thanks for for knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom