anyone have a chicken who 'growls" LOL

Jakoda

Songster
7 Years
Apr 12, 2012
Old Lyme CT
Maybe mine have been hanging with my dog to long:)

I have a 15 wk old RIR, Ruby, she's a very friendly little chicken..The other day, I watched her hop into one of the nesting boxes and plop on top of an egg that was in there,,So I reach for the egg, and do realize chickens can be quite territorial over eggs, she growled at me, and I mean she sounded just like a dog!!! I laughed and grabbed the egg.

Well I'm thinking she is to young to lay eggs, but have gotten a couple of smallish eggs in the past few days..I stood there watching her, wondering what in hek she ws going to do next, well she popped out an egg! Isn't she kind of young to be laying??

Today they all got to finally go into their new BIG barn/coop ..Ruby immediately jumps in a box, everytime someone came in the door, you'd hear her low growl LOL..

I have 14 chickens, 7 of them being 1 year old, Ruby / 2 others are 15 wks,,(I have 4 separated that are even younger),,and none of my other layers have ever 'growled' at me or even sounded like a growl LOL

Do I have a strangechicken?
Diane

Maybe mine have been hanging with my dog to long:)

I have a 15 wk old RIR, Ruby, she's a very friendly little chicken..The other day, I watched her hop into one of the nesting boxes and plop on top of an egg that was in there,,So I reach for the egg, and do realize chickens can be quite territorial over eggs, she growled at me, and I mean she sounded just like a dog!!! I laughed and grabbed the egg.

Well I'm thinking she is to young to lay eggs, but have gotten a couple of smallish eggs in the past few days..I stood there watching her, wondering what in hek she ws going to do next, well she popped out an egg! Isn't she kind of young to be laying??

Today they all got to finally go into their new BIG barn/coop ..Ruby immediately jumps in a box, everytime someone came in the door, you'd hear her low growl LOL..

I have 14 chickens, 7 of them being 1 year old, Ruby / 2 others are 15 wks,,(I have 4 separated that are even younger),,and none of my other layers have ever 'growled' at me or even sounded like a growl LOL

Do I have a strangechicken?
Diane
No, your chicken is not strange. A lot of hens "growl" when they are in a nest box, especially if they are broody. At least mine do...
gig.gif
And in regards to her young laying age, that is rather young, but it is not unheard of for production birds (Leghorns, Sex-links, RIRs, etc.).

My rooster often makes a very convincing growl when he is luring ladies to a spot HE thinks is a great location for a nest.

When hens go broody, they make an incredible variety of sounds, including a growling sound. Sounds like your Ruby is practicing at being broody......

she's kinda young tho don't ya think? LOL..It was pretty comical actually. My 1 yr olds none of them have gone broody, yet..I always take the eggs away quickly, and no one seems to want to lay on them longer than when theyve laid them, even Ruby..

My rooster, well, he's a big wussy..He's 15 wks as well, and aside from being HUGE, he's pretty (no pun intended) hen pecked! The girls just give him a quick peck if he's to close and he runs screaming like he's being murdered.. Has yet to crow, (fine by me), he sticks with the two he was brought up with more than the older girls..

Here's my rooie, Snowy (cornation sussex)

thanks for the feedback:)
Diane

Back
Top Bottom