++++Anyone have a chicken with a really poopy butt???

I think that the main concern here would be that the poop can somehow accumulate very close to the vent blocking it. I check my hens and sometimes they have a hard piece of poop right around the vent so I try to get it off although it is so hard that I have to use KY to soften it and remove it.

I'm so glad I came across this thread!!! I was out today and saw the most disgusting sight on my Buff's butt.

I caught her and flipped her over. I'm glad I didn't see anything wrong with her vent. I was fearing some kind of abscess. Just a lot of poop and it seemed like her fluff was coming off. I'm going to try the bath, then add some ACV to the water, and give her some yogurt. Anything else I should do? I'm not sure how to trine the feathers. Thanks for all your great advice!

I had to give my New Hampshire Red a butt bath a couple of days ago. She didn't mind it at all. I think it's that way because she sleeps off of the roost. Either in a nesting box-ugh-or on the floor. I've put her on the roost I don't know how many times. She has runny poo a lot more than the others too so I added some ACV to the water today but I will try some yogurt too.

Is trimming my only option? I don't have time to be soaking and pulling poop off of bums every couple of months, and then blowdrying, and generally apologizing to my hens for the indignity of having to have me scrub their nethers. I wash 'em and it comes right back. One girl doesn't mind at all, seems to enjoy it; my other I haven't even tried since she doesn't want me to go anywhere near her.

2-3 times a week. I have to stop typing in the dark and/or start proof reading!

For serious cases of poop butt like the one in the first post (from 2009) I would soak that nasty off her butt to prevent skin breakdown from the constant acidity and wet and treat her with Sulmet (use the directions on the bottle)followed by a few days of adding buttermilk to the flocks feed once a day. If the floor of you coop under the roost has lots of loose wet splats they treat the whole flock. You should see firmer poops by the third day at the latest.

As for the hen herself. Soak her bottom in a warm bath of mild soap and Epsom salts for a few minutes then gently roll her feathers between your fingers to loosen the gunk. Don't tug or pull the feathers. Change to water when it fowls and keep doing it until the water stays clear. Dry her or let her dry (indoors if it's cold) when this happened to our buff last fall I blow dried her on medium, she loved it. If her bottom is raw sooth it with A+D ointment. If it's stinky dab it with the cream women use for yeast infections. Check her skin in a few days and retreat with ointment if needed.

I know is sound hard but even if she fights you going in once you get her into the water she will calm right down. Mine fell asleep! When your at it you can oil her feet waddles and comb to clean them protect them from frost bite. I use vitamin E oil but cooking oil will work,
My chicken loves a blow dry too ! She almost acts drunk lol falls over and eyes half closed it’s funny

Long soak!
Wowzah, now that's a throwback- a comment from 2009! Haha. I was like, I don't remember commenting on this...oh right because it was from 9 years ago! :eek: FYI for anyone who hasn't tried this yet: apple cider vinegar soak. It does wonders to clean gross underfluffies. Especially if one of your chooks gets fly strike (a real nightmare). ACV is truly lifesaving for flystrike.

Back
Top Bottom