Anyone have a lone duck?

Tia Z.

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 23, 2009
Chico
Do ducks need a mate? Does it matter if the duck is a male? I'm caretaking my mom's house and I've grown really attached to the mallard I hand raised since I moved in. We're pretty attached to each other but I'm wondering if it would be better to leave him at the house with the two other muscovies or if when I move out if it would be okay to take him with me. Just curious about other people's experiences raising a lone duck. If I take him with me there is a good chance I will end up getting one more.

Is he used to being with the muscovies? Does he hang out with other birds? I had a lone pekin hatch last fall, but I raised him with some silkies and guineas. He never decided that he liked other ducks, but he was always hanging around with some bird or another.
I would say if he is used to being with other birds, whether they are ducks or not, then he would be terribly lonely. If he's used to being with just you, he should do fine.

I bought the other two because I didn't want him to be alone, they hang out but they aren't attached and fight/ignore each other more than they're friendly. I do think he would be lonely without another duck and will probably get one more when I move so he has company. We have a bobcat problem so he's never slept outside at night. At this point, when it gets dark out he comes in the cat door, goes to his corner, and sleeps comfortably. Who knew someday I'd be spoiling a duck! The muscovies are sharing the spare room right now, sorry Mom!
tongue.png

I guess I wasn't sure if he doesn't have a mate if he'll end up being kind of unruly and crazed like a dog in heat or something. Do I need to be sure to get a female?

Back
Top Bottom