Anyone have a milk cow?

Quote:
Check at the local large animal vet office, feed store, etc. They may be able to tell you who has some that might sell you a calf, heifer, or cow. Jerseys are also a nice breed and being smaller take less feed so keep them in mind too.
Good luck!

Quote:
Yes, they have to have a calf before they will milk. Dealing with a pregnant cow isn't any big deal. Delivering her calf is like a goat, horse, pig, dog, cat. Hopefully everything goes good but, if not and you don't know what to do there is the vet. Most go fine.

Last edited:
Well I have a milk cow and she is a Jersey and will freshen in just a few weeks. I also have milking goats too...and now I have 15 baby goats too so almost half of my goats have freshened so far...Anyone close want to by a baby goat??? Also if Maggie freshens with a heifer it will be halter trained and will be for sale also. I love fresh milk and I think it tastes better than store bought milk...To me its kinda like Half/Half milk you get at the store...creamy and good. I cant wait.

I have been thinking about a cow for a while now, too. I was wondering about this idea: I don't need a top milker for one family cow, but what about a farmer getting "rid" of an older cow who has stopped top production, but is still milking? It would get the farmer some money for her. Anyone know what meat prices would be for a milk cow someone would get rid of?

I'd also have to be able to sell (or give back to the farmer) the calf- I DON'T want to start accumulating cows!
lol.png

Chatychick I wish you were closer and I hope she has a heifer calf because my friends grandmother is looking for a replacment cow because her jersey died of milk fever. Good Luck I wish I lived on a farm and when I do I plan on having a jersey and some goats as well.

Henry

An older milk cow is a possiblity but, remember that there are more chances of health conditions. Chances are if the farmer has kept her around and is now getting rid of her there is a reason. I wouldn't recommend it unless you know the farmer or have found them through a reliable source so you can trust what they tell you about the cow. There are a lot of things that can be wrong that you won't be able to detect-even with a vet. Won't breed back, throughs her whethers (prolapses) at freshening, cronic mastitis, repeat milkfever at freshening (each time they have milkfever it has the protential to be worse and eventually fatal), etc.

Good point. We also have soft hearts, so getting rid of a cow that isn't able to produce would be difficult.
sad.png

My SO wants goats. I just like the taste of cow milk better than goat. Unless I learn to make goat cheese...hmmm...

Mother Goose,
How close are you to La Porte In. ? I have relatives in Rock Falls IL who have a milk cow. but to get to them it takes 3 to 4 hrs hoping to find someone closer.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom