Anyone have a thought on how old this Cuckoo Marans is?

steveholtam

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 4, 2012
I got this lady chicken off of Craig's List and was told she was a layer. Well that was about four weeks ago and I've yet to get a single egg. Is there a chance this chicken is either not old enough or maybe very old? Thanks for looking!!!

shes old enough to lay. Now that can be a couple year old bird. She will still lay eggs but after she molts and settles down from her big move. Do you light your birds over winter? If not she'll start back in spring

This will be my first winter with chickens, so I need to look into lighting them. The thing about this bird is the guy I got her from had like twenty chickens, in all age ranges. I just picked the biggest. But he had no idea which birds actually laid the the eggs he showed me. Maybe I got a dud! Lol!
D.gif

I'll just keep feeding her and maybe one day I'll be extra surprised if an egg shows up. Do you think there is a chance she is past laying entirely? Like she is elderly? I really don't want a chicken that does not lay eggs though. I have enough pets at my house as it is!

she looks older, but I had hens ley til they were 10 years old, thou it wasnt many eggs. can you get a good shot of her legs with her standing on the ground?

you need to treat her for leg mites as she looks like she has some that are getting bad and with that i would also treat for lice and since she is already with your other chickens you will need to treat the whole flock not just her. since she is new it could take her a while to get used to her new home and with it being later in the year she may not lay till next year.

I don't think its leg mites as they aren't uneven and rough looking. they have the look of being an older birds legs, which most people don't see as they get rid of the birds by 2 or 3 yrs of age.

Thanks for the all of the information. I guess I picked the wrong hen. Oh well. I'll give her till next spring and see what happens. If nothing else I can find her a new long term home. In my belly! No, just kidding. I could never eat a pet of mine.

Back
Top Bottom