anyone have an easy way to pickle jalapenos?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by peeplessinNC, Oct 6, 2009.

1. peeplessinNC

peeplessinNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    NC Piedmont
    A few years ago I pickled some hot banana peppers for a friend, but I've sort of forgotten what I did. Any help?

Thanks!

2. did you try the Amish website, they have all kinds of pickle receipes on there and ever time I cooked from one of their receipes it was great. marrie

3. Dragonfly Ranch

Dragonfly Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Happy Valley, CA
    Here is how I do mine and everyone loves them. Nice balanceor hot and sweet from the carrots and onions.

Pickled Jalapenos (Escabeche)
    From Sandee at Dragonfly Ranch

2 pounds Jalapeno or Serrano chile peppers
    1/3 cup Olive Oil
    2 medium white onions, thickly sliced
    2 medium carrots, peeled and thickly sliced
    1 head garlic, cloves separated but not peeled
    3 cups apple cider vinegar
    2 tablespoons Kosher or Sea Salt
    2 bay leaves
    ½ teaspoon dried oregano
    4 sprigs of fresh marjoram or 1/4 teaspoon dried (I don't usually have & its fine without)
    4 sprigs of fresh thyme or ¼ teaspoon dried
    1 Tbsp sugar

Wash chile peppers, leaving the stems intact. Cut a cross in the tip end of each chile so that the vinegar will be able to penetrate.

Heat oil in a large, deep skillet. Add chilies, onion, carrots and garlic. Fry over medium heat for about 10 minutes, turning them over occasionally.
    Add vinegar, salt, herbs, and sugar and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes for Serrano’s or 10 minutes for jalapenos.

Pack in half-pints or quarts sterilized jars. Top with the vinegar and seal. Process in water bath for 10 minutes for half-pints and 15 minutes for quarts.

Once opened, can keep for one month in the refrigerator – if they last that long! Enjoy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by