I'm Going to Make Pickled Eggs For The First Time

Smokerbill

Free Ranging
Apr 1, 2023
SW Washington
My pullets are all becoming hens, and I think that all eight have started laying. They're laying small eggs most of the time. And from what I've read, small eggs are better for pickling because the seasoning can penetrate easier, and the eggs are pickled in a shorter amount of time.

I found this from the National Center for Home Food Preservation and was wondering if anyone here has used any of the recipes.

https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_06/pickled_eggs.html

Does anyone have a different recipe that they've had good luck with?

This method of cooking hard boiled eggs from the NCHPF looks like it would work well. Anyone used it?

According to the Georgia Egg Commission, the following method of hard-cooking facilitates peeling of ultra fresh eggs. Make a pinhole in the large end of the egg, place the eggs in a single layer in a saucepan, and cover with cold water to an inch above the layer of eggs. Place a lid on the pan and bring eggs to a boil. Remove the pan of eggs from the burner, leaving the cover in place, and allow to sit for 15-18 minutes, adjusting time up or down 3 minutes for larger or smaller eggs. Immediately remove eggs from the pan of hot water with a slotted spoon to a bowl of ice water for one minute. In the meantime, bring hot water to simmering. After one minute in ice water remove eggs back to the simmering water for ten seconds. The ten second interval is important because this allows the shell to expand without expanding the rest of the egg. Peel immediately by cracking the shells of the egg all over. Roll each egg gently between hands to loosen the shell. Peel, starting at the large end of the egg. The peeling may take place under cold running water to help wash the shell off the egg and to minimize the shell breaking into the white.

Any insights would be helpful. I'm getting tired of only eating fried and plain old hard boiled eggs.

My pullets are all becoming hens, and I think that all eight have started laying. They're laying small eggs most of the time. And from what I've read, small eggs are better for pickling because the seasoning can penetrate easier, and the eggs are pickled in a shorter amount of time.

I found this from the National Center for Home Food Preservation and was wondering if anyone here has used any of the recipes.

https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_06/pickled_eggs.html

Does anyone have a different recipe that they've had good luck with?

This method of cooking hard boiled eggs from the NCHPF looks like it would work well. Anyone used it?

Any insights would be helpful. I'm getting tired of only eating fried and plain old hard boiled eggs.
I have not pickled eggs, yet. Several of these recipes sound good. Thanks for sharing 🙂

I’m making pickled eggs today but ran into a concern that is new for me. After peeling the yolks are just barely outside the white in a small area on each egg. Will the exposed yolk start disintegrating and clouding the brine?
Improper storage position is my guess for the cause and the remaining 3-4 dozen uncooked eggs are now standing with the round end up. How long should I wait for the yolks to recenter themselves? Will they recenter?

Back
Top Bottom