Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs

Sassy07

Chirping
Apr 25, 2019
St. Louis, MO
Has anyone noticed that eggs layed by specific hens peel better than others? I know older eggs tend to peel better period, but we eat so many eggs sometimes that is not an option. I have 4 EE hens. 2 lay blue (different shades), 1 olive and 1 brown. The brown eggs always peel super easy and are beautiful. The blues are hit and miss, but mostly peel well if older and the olive is so ridiculous that I don't even boil them at all anymore. My method is to boil starting in roiling water for 10 minutes then remove, crack and soak in ice bath for at least 10 minutes. This has served me well in the past so I don't think it's my method, I just think it is that dang green egg.

I have not noticed that difference with breed or shell color. What is inside the shell should be the same regardless of not only breed but species. Virtually all eggs of any species have an inner and outer membrane and should behave the same.

Has anyone noticed that eggs layed by specific hens peel better than others? I know older eggs tend to peel better period, but we eat so many eggs sometimes that is not an option. I have 4 EE hens. 2 lay blue (different shades), 1 olive and 1 brown. The brown eggs always peel super easy and are beautiful. The blues are hit and miss, but mostly peel well if older and the olive is so ridiculous that I don't even boil them at all anymore. My method is to boil starting in roiling water for 10 minutes then remove, crack and soak in ice bath for at least 10 minutes. This has served me well in the past so I don't think it's my method, I just think it is that dang green egg.
I'm not sure about different breeds laying better peeling eggs but I do have a trusty trick for you🤗. Before you boil them take a tack and poke a hole in the top of each egg. This somehow releases the suction and they peel like a dream! Be sure to pierce the shell and inner membrane otherwise it won't work.

I'm not sure about different breeds laying better peeling eggs but I do have a trusty trick for you🤗. Before you boil them take a tack and poke a hole in the top of each egg. This somehow releases the suction and they peel like a dream! Be sure to pierce the shell and inner membrane otherwise it won't work.
I'll try it but don't you mean to pierce the outer membrane? The one attached to the shell rather than the one that holds the albumen together?

Many years ago we got one of these and they are the greatest. Eggs are always done perfectly and easy to shell. Auto shuts off when done. On sale now.

1707082707456.png

I have definitely noticed certain hens have eggs that are hard to peel. My worst was a Rhode Island White egg it was speckled and very dark brown, so I knew which hen laid it. We have been using the method of getting the water boiling before putting the eggs in. Most eggs peel well even if they are fresh. I had not heard the hole method before.

I have definitely noticed certain hens have eggs that are hard to peel. My worst was a Rhode Island White egg it was speckled and very dark brown, so I knew which hen laid it. We have been using the method of getting the water boiling before putting the eggs in. Most eggs peel well even if they are fresh. I had not heard the hole method before.
Cracking a fresh silkie egg is no treat either. Their shells are like porcelain and the membranes are so thick sometimes we make a mess lol.

I'll try it but don't you mean to pierce the outer membrane? The one attached to the shell rather than the one that holds the albumen together?
No I mean pierce the shell and inner membrane. Just shove the tacks point in as far as it'll go. It sounds kinda complicated but it's really easy👍

Back
Top Bottom