Hard-boiling eggs

I do the instant pot,too. Up to 10 eggs on the trivet, 7minutes, and I just leave mine until I get around to them....
2nd best method was in oven, in muffin pan, with a cotton makeup pad under each. 350 deg/30min.
I have an old cuisinart 10 egg boiler but it had issues with the fresh eggs. Great onstore bought eggs, though!

Breaking the membrane makes peeling easier . Tap the large end of the egg gently with the round end of a spoon (before boiling) Be careful not too tap it too hard or you'll crack the egg. You can hear it snap when the membrane breaks. Adding vinegar to the water softens the shell!

I know most people aren't hard boiling eggs for this purpose, but at my house we are ramen fanatics so I figured I'd share. In lieu of a soft-boiled egg for ramen noodle soup, lately we've just been doing lightly poached eggs. It's a great substitute, is quicker, and there's no peeling!

I add a splash of white vinegar to the water because it apparently keeps the egg together. I also turn the heat down while cracking the eggs in, and then turn it back up, for the same reason.

I know most people aren't hard boiling eggs for this purpose, but at my house we are ramen fanatics so I figured I'd share. In lieu of a soft-boiled egg for ramen noodle soup, lately we've just been doing lightly poached eggs. It's a great substitute, is quicker, and there's no peeling!

I add a splash of white vinegar to the water because it apparently keeps the egg together. I also turn the heat down while cracking the eggs in, and then turn it back up, for the same reason.
That solves the age old problem!

I've tried EVERY trick on the internet, but no matter what EVERY egg from my coop is ruined when hard-boiled. Peeling the shells ends up cracking, gouging, and ruining the egg. I've tried using "old" eggs, the batch I did today have been in the fridge for a month. I"ve tried fresh eggs, no luck. I've tried hot water, cold water, vinegar in water, baking powder in water, letting them boil 7 min, 13 min, ice baths after boiling, rolling them on the counter, shaking them in water, and a hundred other things. 90% of my eggs are too beat up for deviled eggs or red beet eggs and I end up eating tons of egg salad.

The membrane that comes between the shell and white usually is tough and sticks to the shell in store-bought eggs, and I can almost always peel a whole egg in a few large chunks. The membrane in my home-grown is weak, sticks to the whites, and when tiny bits of shell are pulled off, also half of the whites come off with it...
I'm desperate at this point, any suggestions?
A friend showed me how he peels his fresh eggs. After boiling, cooldown, and drying roll the eggs on a hard surface pressing down like you roll citrus for juicing.
The shell is cracked, the membrane is loose, and my eggs are not brutalized. They are lovely and smooth, ready for eating.

Twice I have made them in my Instant Pot:

1 cup water in the pot
10 eggs (Using the trivet!)

5 minutes high pressure. Wait 5 minutes and release the rest of the pressure. Lift out the trivet and put the eggs in a dish of cold water.

Both times, the eggs peel well. These are fresh off the counter, less than a week old eggs.
I have done this 3 times now. My complaint isn't about difficulty peeling, it's about the eggshell cracking while they're cooking. The last time, 7 out of 10 cracked, and 2 of them cracked early enough in the cooking to burst out of the shell.

Someone told me to try the lower pressure setting on the Instant Pot, and cook for 6 minutes. I'll be trying that sometime in the next few days.

I have done this 3 times now. My complaint isn't about difficulty peeling, it's about the eggshell cracking while they're cooking. The last time, 7 out of 10 cracked, and 2 of them cracked early enough in the cooking to burst out of the shell.

Someone told me to try the lower pressure setting on the Instant Pot, and cook for 6 minutes. I'll be trying that sometime in the next few days.
Another thing to try, if you haven’t, make sure the eggs are room temperature.

Bursting shells are caused by an abrupt change in egg temperature and thermal expansion as the egg quickly increases in temp.

If they’re at room temp, they heat up less quickly and the shell has a chance to adapt.

Another thing to try, if you haven’t, make sure the eggs are room temperature.

Bursting shells are caused by an abrupt change in egg temperature and thermal expansion as the egg quickly increases in temp.

If they’re at room temp, they heat up less quickly and the shell has a chance to adapt.
Yes, thank you. They were at room temp.

Back
Top Bottom