Anyone have an idea why lavender ameraucanas wont lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TyrannosaurusChix, Jul 28, 2010.

1. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    I got these birds from a very nice lady i found on CL, who was getting a divorce and had no choice but to rehome a mother-daughter pair of silver ameraucana hens. i later found out that these are most likely lavender.. for color.

Anywho. These birds were kept alone in their coop with about 3-4 sq ft of space, and she told me shed go out and get 3 eggs at a time.. like if she didnt collect them one day. To me that indicates that they both are capable of laying.

Ive had them for months now, and i got nothing for a while, and then bam i walked out and found a blue egg.. o . m .g. a blue egg.. i was so happy!!! then one followed each day, i think it was the daughter as i walked in , interttupting her one day, she did finish though. so after a week or week and a half, no more blue eggs.

I am literally puzzled. Are these skittish birds that will not lay because of any reason? are these birds just not layers? any info appreciated... but they are close to finding a new home!

here is a picture of one of them that i have on hand:

oh yeah, and little girl says "BUTT!" [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by