Anyone have any super-duper rabbit keeping info?

Spookwriter

Crowing
9 Years
Feb 23, 2010
Ohio
Okay. Looks like about two hours away from being
the proud owner of a lop earred rabbit.

Anyone care to share advice about these creatures? I don't
think I've ever had a rabbit.

4-H project, so it's gotta look good.

Spook...for the baby Spook

Never, ever, leave them alone in the house.
They LOVE telephone cords, lamp wires, mouldings, shoelaces.
And if you see the lips working, the other side will be working, too.
At least the poops are easy to clean up after. Not like a chicken.

WOW, nobody else?

OK, they love to wedge themselves behind bookcases.
The more books, and the harder to get him out, the more of a chance he will do it.

If you roll them over on their backs, and rub their belly, you can hypnotize them.

Don't go overboard on lettuce and carrots. They love it, but will give them the poops.
Alfafa cubes are good.

It's been rumored they can be potty trained. I've had hundreds, never happened for me.

And NO, they won't make it snow.

I'm here, riding on Spook's coat-tails, as I was recently gifted with a rabbit. Simba (aughh!) is a Lionhead buck. I am to receive a mamma doe and three kits later this week, too. Simba's family. (I already know I need to keep him away from his former mate.)

He gets rabbit pellets to make into rounder rabbit "pellets," and two "baby carrots" daily. I also give him alfalfa cubes. And some little, colorful wooden shaped things upon which to gnaw. Lots of fresh water in a cage water bottle, too.

That is the extent of my rabbit knowledge. I will be eagerly awaiting any other info folks provide for Spookwriter!

Cool is it a mini lop? The others grow quite large. Make a great pet, watch out for the hind feet they will leave a nice wound. I have new zealand and cailf for meat. I also sell bunnies now and then. Good luck! You might find some good info on my site about rabbits.

spoiled buns get organic thick rolled oats
smile.png

oh and rabbits don't like baths
hide.gif

Unlimited timothy hay. They should have it all the time, they love it and its good for them. You can buy timothy hay bales as well. I found that its also cheaper to buy them a huge 25 lb bag of bunny feed for around 12 bucks from a feed store than to have to be constantly buying small 8 dollar bags. They will pee in a litter box but they will poop everywhere. Dont let them run around unsupervised, they will eat cords, books, papers etc. They can have 1-2 tablespoons of carrots or fruit daily and can have lettuce but not iceberg and not in large quantities. they should have a salt lick and something to chew on (apple or pear branches work well). they need their nails clipped once in a while, this should be a 2 person job, one to hold the rabbit and one to clip its nails.

I have 5 mini lops with hopefully a litter due at the start of Feb. I give 6oz of pellets each day for the breed I have, I try to give hay every 3 days and more often if I can remember to get it out there (they waste a lot of it through the bottom of their cages) a kitty jingle ball (they will play with it!) a chunk of fruit wood, and they are litter box trainable! Lettuce is a controversal food because it causes the runs and has no nutrional value, I don't give it to them... Hay is important to prevent blockages (they can't puke hairballs up like cats so it goes through them) I lost a rabbit due to a blockage and now keep things on hand in case it happens again, I have pineapple juice because it breaks the hair up and an oil laxative to help them pass it.
smile.png
hope you enjoy your lop!

Litterbox training was easy...........bought a tiny litterbox at the dollar store, put wood shavings in it, then put hay on top of it, situated it under the water bottle - bunny goes in and eats hay, also pees and poops in the litterbox - I have two rabbits in seperate cages and they both are litterbox trained............I dump it and clean it every day, and I buy a new dolalr store litter box every few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom