Anyone have BB red cubalayas?

Good stuff there.
wink.png
Thanks! Just wanted to make sure it wasn't something I hadn't come across before.

I reall like the cubalayas, but his don't seem to have very long talis. I thought they had pretty long tails, like the yokohama and phoenix. Oh well, my dad said I should wait till spring to hatch any more anyway
sad.png
I know he's right, we don't really have any place to keep little ones that will keep them warm...but I really want those birds!!! Idk I will have to think about it. I already have eggs that are due to hatch about mid-October, and those are late enough..

Quote:
It's a common misconception. They are not quite so long being closer to the length you would find on a Sumatra. They are quite beautiful still and very friendly birds, even the ones I do not handle much will still come up for a bite to eat or walk amongst my feet when I'm out in the yard.

There is one line of cubalaya that does have a lengthy tail, but you will not find them at a hatchery. You'd have to locate the breeders that were lucky enough to obtain them. Craig Russell, Charles Everett, and John Castignetti are the only breeders I know of who have birds from that line. The original line started with John Castignetti.

Edited to add: Tail growth is the longest maturing trait of the Cubalaya. Mr. Bender likely has young birds shown on his page, which would not have a full tail yet. It can take up to two years, sometimes three for full maturity and growth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks chickngurl, for the tip, they are still beautiful birds, and I do plan on getting some. I just hope I don't have to wait too long!

Shelley, I added a bit of info on the tails to my post.
smile.png
The cubalaya shown in my avatar was not even a year old yet, when I took the picture. He had not even experienced his first moult. Unfortunately he's no longer with me, so I have no way of knowing how his tail would turn out.
sad.png
He came from Ideal Hatchery, btw.
wink.png

Are they really as good natured as ppl have said? I read on one site (idk which, I have read so much about various breeds these past few weeks!) that they were somewhat aggressive, cuz they were bred for fighting? I have a little dutch bantam roo that I am very attached to, would hate for something to happen to him!

Nah, my OEGB are more aggressive with each other than the cubans. There will be sparring as most roos do, but it's not outright fighting. The "gameness" has been bred out of them because they're used for showing.
smile.png

They're highly curious busy bodies, they want to check out whatever you're doing. I have one that jumps up on my shoulder and sits while I walk around. He's my special "pet" I suppose, 'cause I hand hatched him. His hatchmate, who hatched all by herself, will come around when I'm outside 'cause she thinks I might give her a treat. I can pick her up and hold her for a little while, but she's more of one to just walk around the yard looking pretty.
lol.png
I have another hen who'll come around when I'm handing out food but doesn't much care to be touched. She will snatch a tidbit of food from your hand though, given the chance.
wink.png

I wish mine were like that!! They will practically walk on your feet, until you try to pick them up. Then you would think you were trying to pluck them or something!! I had one little banty pullet, who is now 2 months old, whose mama disappeared right off the nest, after hatching only her. We named her Nugget, and she was so friendly, all you had to do was to put your hand down, and she would climb right in. That is, until I got some more young chicks, and let her roam with them. Now she acts just as wild as the rest of them
sad.png
When I get some cubalayas, I will definitely keep them caged, just so I can tame them down good. And also, probably, for breeding. I did notice they were on the rare breeds list!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom