Anyone have CONSTANTLY sick pets??

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Ducklove334, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    Talons at it again:rant

ok, so does anyone have a pet that is CONSTANTLY sick, for the DUMBEST reason?

heres the story, last year a few months after I moved to Virginia, one of my cats I'd brought with me had 5 kittens.

they'll be a year old on the 25th of this month.

I remember their birth as though it was yesterday, they were born inside, they went in this order, Grizzly,Graci,Tyson,Talon and finally sicily, everything went smoothly with the birth except for Sicily who was breach, AND stuck in the birth canal, so was pretty much dead when she was born, we brought her back though.

they stayed pretty healthy up til about 5 weeks, when one of our other young cats brought a URI into the house, everyone in the litter cought it, they went to the vet, got antibiotics and cleared up within a week, all except, for Talon, he stayed sick(did I mention his eyes opened at THREE days old?). he went back to the vet several times, and cleared up after a few MONTHS, everyone else was healthy, at 3 months old, they became too much for their aging mom,(who was already about 8 years old) this was an UNPLANNED litter, she was due to be spayed a few weeks after I moved, but she got pregnant a few days before I moved, under my moms watch.

anyways, they went outside, everyone was healthy, even talon, then he came up sick, AGAIN, got him on antibiotics, for literally 3 or so months he was sick, then he got better, and stayed pretty healthy up all winter long, and now, he's sick, AGAIN, none of his other littermates are,Grizzly,Sicily and Graci are perfectly heathy(tyson is no longer with us thanks to a darn fox).

and we've figured out WHY talon is ALWAYS sick, I've always questioned his...smartyness, but this cat will SIT in the pouring rain, and stare into space for HOURS, doesn't bother to dry himself off, and just sits, and stares, then HE acts like he wonders why he feels icky. so another vet trip is in order the next few days [​IMG]

I love my cats to death, but I'm wondering if the inbreeding back in WV has destroyed the lines brains forever [​IMG]

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

He might possibly have feline leukemia. Was he ever tested for it?

3. BFeathered

BFeathered Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    North Texas
    Yeesh.... hate to see your vet bill! (and btw, WV is a very sophisticated state... [​IMG]) Nope, my critters are fine, it's the featherless, 2-legger that keeps me running.. Buy that cat a rain slicker!

4. buckeye lady

buckeye lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Rootstown Ohio
  5. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Anyone say WV? [​IMG]

6. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    he doesn't have feline luk. he's been tested neg. I've had two cats in the past who had that, and he doesn't act like that.

the feline herpes makes since, we had a cat who had feline herpes. and we're thinking thats what it is.

he goes to the vet this monday, thats the only time they'd be able to see him.

7. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I adopted a cat that is special needs. He was found as a stray with a severe sinus infection , it already had spread to his eyes. The left one cleared up and was good, but his right is scarred and he is left with 10% vision on this sight. He also has a constant sniffle because the virus is stuck in his lungs i guess. We are so used to it that we dont hear it anymore. The infection also destroyed whatever makes a cat purr. In order to " hear" him you need to put your ear on his body. He is virtually non-vocal. Maybe once a month or so you can hear a weak little kitten like meow out of this 11pound cat. But other than that he is doing fine. He is obsessed with pipecleaners and will play all day with them.

I plan on adopting one more special needs cat. I am on the waiting list for a three legged cat.Yeah i know it sounds weird , but who besides me would take a half blind three legged cat???

8. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    I wont let my cat outside at all. If she gets out she doesnt make it far as I grab her up before she even gets off the porch. Im very protective of my animals though. Some times I think Im more protective of them then I am of myself. lol

9. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I dont let Roscoe outside wither. Today he followed us to the sunrooh ,when he noticed he was "almost outside" he started scratching on the door, ran inside and hid under the bed for a hour.

10. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    This is such a difficult area. I have a dog whose medical bills have easily exceeded mine for several years -- but then I avoid doctors unless in need of Rx. (And I have good insurance!)

It does often seem to reach a point where one has to choose between continuing the animal's ill-fated life, and the financial considerations for the humans involved. Some on here seem to feel that if you can't afford the vet care, you should not have the animal, but I feel that if this is taken to any length, this would mean many animals would have no home or life at all.

A dog who gets a rabies shot annually and some flea medicine now and then, and has a loving owner, but gets no other medical care, is likely to enjoy several years of a good dog life, for example. In many cases the alternative for such a dog would be feral life and starvation, or shooting at the hands of a livestock owner..... Around here, these are the two choices for many dogs. I'd certainly rather see the financially challenged animal lover do what he feels he can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by