Anyone have coturnix laying solid white eggs?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by bigjohn, Feb 1, 2009.

1. bigjohn

bigjohn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    Georgia
    Has anyone attempted to breed for egg color? I have not seen a solid white egg from any Coturnix, but would certainly like to have birds that laid a solid color. Candeling would be a breeze!

Would this be a difficult trait to try to obtain like size/weight?

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    io have not bred for it, but but have had some laid. I tried to hatch it and it was infertile. It seems that the small specked eggs, not the large polkadots and the white eggs are infertile. Maybe its just my experience or maybe it is something different.??[​IMG]

3. SportTees

SportTees Chillin' With My Peeps

I also had some lay white eggs at the end of season but they weren't fertile. If you want white eggs why don't you get bob whites??

4. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Coturnix do lay white eggs from time to time. In my experience, it's when they lay an egg early before the pattern is able to settle on the egg. You would have to breed out the egg pigment genetics in the birds, which I wouldnt even know where to start on that lol!

They are easier to candle, but only for like the first 3 days then you can't even see into the egg anyhow because the blood vessles are so numerous...so white in that small of an egg really isnt that much of an advantage (i have a white one in right now). [​IMG]

5. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:i dont wanan say it but it looks like that's just in your experience [​IMG] all my big spotted eggs are fertile right now as well as my white eggie [​IMG] My one that wasnt fertile was really pretty small spots and brown and greenish it reminded me of a large button quail egg in the pretty pattern, i'd take a picture of it but it was infertile and i pitched it. So my experience was opposite to yours hehe!

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:i dont wanan say it but it looks like that's just in your experience [​IMG] all my big spotted eggs are fertile right now as well as my white eggie [​IMG] My one that wasnt fertile was really pretty small spots and brown and greenish it reminded me of a large button quail egg in the pretty pattern, i'd take a picture of it but it was infertile and i pitched it. So my experience was opposite to yours hehe!

It seems like that's what brooster was saying. The 'small specked eggs, not the large polkadots, and the white eggs are infertile.'

But that's just me, I'm not a mind reader. But I agree, a white coturnix egg is not normal, and I would doubt it would even be possible to breed for them! It would surely take a loooooong time to get it right!

7. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    My quail have laid several solid eggs, but they are not white, more of an off blue. [​IMG] I was so excited because it was very cool, but alas, it didn't develop. [​IMG]

Even though I did get the occasional solid egg, it was never consistant and I couldn't "expect" them.

-Kim

8. whitecra

whitecra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Ihave gotten one white egg out of mine.
    Chris

9. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:My Tibetans and some of my tuxedos lay blue solid eggs [​IMG] They've hatched I love those eggs [​IMG]

10. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    My Texas AM laid the blue one. I was pretty dissapointed that it didn't hatch, but that's how the cookie crumbles. [​IMG]

-Kim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by