1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone have experience with Mono?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Alicia G, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    Well I found out that me and my twin have a 'mono like' virus. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it. My brother is quite sick, he hasn't been able to eat much for over a week, and the doctor suspects his liver and/or spleen is swollen. Any Advice to help him? I just don't want him to get any worse [​IMG]
    Oh and I know this sounds like an odd question, but I have a younger brother who LOVES to give hugs. I told him that I can't hug him cause I'm sick. He pretty heart broken. Is it ok if I give him hugs?
    Thanks for listening!
    Alicia

2. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    [​IMG] I never had it, but with swollen liver and spleen, do not do any hard physical activity.
    Make sure he does not risk rupturing the spleen. Get well soon you two.

3. bluesub

bluesub Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Well,

You had mono for a long time (several weeks) before you started showing symptoms, so if you haven't infected your little brother yet, I don't think hugging him will hurt. It is transmitted through saliva, so be especially careful not to share straws, utensils or cups with anyone. My daughter had it and she was tired for a long time after the symptoms subsided. Hang in there. Your brother will have to be careful about contact sports for awhile (although he probably doesn't feel like playing contact sports right now...).

4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Mono is one of the most common and easily passed illnesses there is. You said "mono like" so it's hard to give advice. It tires you out, wears you down, and drains your energy. With proper treatment and rest you come through just fine. The symptoms you described for your brother don't sound like Mono, so you will need to follow the Drs. instructions.

5. Fluffychicky

Fluffychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Sophia, NC
    I currently have mono and it sucks...I know its a type of herpes virus, so can I give it to my chickens?

6. DennisK

DennisK Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Paicines, Ca
    I was in my 50’s when I came down with it … It took over a month to get completely over it, and in that time, all I wanted to do was lay in bed. It has a nickname – Kissing sickness, which as bluesub said, comes from saliva . I think I got mine from buying fruit that was contaminated. All it takes is for someone who is infected to sneeze on things that you may consume. My liver was in bad shape too, but with rest … and lots of time, you and your brother should be OK.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by