Anyone have experience with Parvo-URGENT

Tenderft chick

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 25, 2010
Minnesota
Hi, I am posting for my brother, he recently rescued 2 blue heelers:) and one has come down with Parvo:(.

No money to have vet treat and no one willing to help him with giving fluids at home. He lives in TN and I am in MN. I have not dealt with Parvo myself, had a scare but nothing ever came of it. I researched Parvo then, but that was a couple years ago, so don't remember much.

Any help would be appreciated in any way possible.

Definitely have him separate the other healthy puppy. The sick puppy will have to be kept far away from any other dogs. Also, all surfaces will have to be cleaned to prevent the other dog from getting sick. I know parvo can be present on surfaces for quite a while even after the illness.

Ideally, the dog really neads an IV or Sub Q fluids. Some vets will do this very cheap. A lot of the dogs I've known who had parvo and were not treated intensively died of dehydration. (Some of these dogs WERE being treated by a vet and they still died) Parvo is just a nasty disease! I believe the problem is that even though fluids may be given via the mouth, the dogs can't absorb them through the lining of the digestive system.

Make sure he keeps the dog cool, to avoid panting and additional dehydration.

Here is a good link I've used for some research on Parvo, but there are tons of them. This one focuses more on vet care as far as treatment, but if you look, you might be able to find some links regarding home care.

http://www.workingdogs.com/parvofaq.htm

Ive heard of several people saving parvo puppies using a mixture of sugar water with some salt. I think the main thing is keeping them hydrated,

Dehydration is the biggest battle. IF the pup can be kept hydrated, it's chances are better. Plain pedialyte by mouth, even a few cc's at a time if that's all the pup can hold down. Don't even try with food yet.

If it goes to the bloody diarrhea stage, it's a good bet it won't make it. If your brother, or anyone he knows, happens to have some Tamiflu laying around left over, I believe it helped me to save a litter a few years ago when the new strain CPV 2C (I think that's what it was called) hit town. I had one pup spend nearly a week in the ER and get down to skin and bone but he survived. His littermates (2 of whom were starting to show signs) I immediately started on the Tamiflu, and they turned around almost immediately.

I think the dosage was 10 mg. twice daily for pups NOT showing signs yet, and 20 mg. twice daily for sick ones.

Keep in mind that if the pup is already reeeeeally sick, the Tamiflu probably won't help it, but I would DEFINITELY start the littermate on it ASAP. It works by preventing the virus particle from entering cells - if the body is already saturated with virus, it won't help so much.

Here's a link. http://www.petcarerx.com/pcrx/HealthGuide/Medications/Medication.aspx?mid=12846

Bear
in mind that if money is a factor, Tamiflu is expensive, I think I spent 80 bucks on enough to treat my pups' 5 littermates. Of course that was pretty cheap compared to what we spent to save Arian! That's why I said, call around friends, family, etc and see if anyone has a dose or two laying around. Capsule form, I just poured out the powder and using the good ol' razor blade eyeballed the amount to come as close to 20 mg. as possible.

Last edited:
Oh I forgot to mention, he has had dogs in the family growing up but is not "per se" an animal lover. He has come to really like these 2 guys though. The other bad thing is he just left town today until early next week so someone else is helping to take care of the dogs.

The good thing is he is very very careful with anything dealing with germs (kinda germ a phobe) I gave him bleach/water ratio for disinfectant.

Please keep ideas rolling in, I will be in contact with him and dog sitter constantly with updates and what to do.

Currently as of what I know today. Not seeing bright red blood anywhere but does have kinda black tarry stools. Told him get electrolytes and if does eat a bland diet of ground turkey and pumpkin as pumpkin helps with diarhea.

Black tarry stool doesn't sound like parvo... Have they been parvo-tested positive, or have they just decided - sick puppy = parvo? If money was an issue, maybe they haven't been seen by a vet(?)

My dog had Parvo two years back, we took him to the vet and he had a 99% chance of not making it....he pulled through tho but now we are left with a $1300 bill...

I hope your brothers dog makes it
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
fl.gif

I would check with a vet some will help out.
The dogs will both come down with it or the other just got over it.
They will need lots of fluid and anti vomit meds.
Parvo is the intestine slothing off from the inside out. Any food if you can even get them to eat should be baby food very small amount. If the dog vomits it up stop the food. You must make sure you get skulls down and it stays in the dog. Like a IV line. They will loose more then you could offer them. Most won't drink. Parvo Will stay in the ground for 10 years and other dogs with out shots can get it. If you or anyone else has dogs I would clorox all shoes. If you go over there and they walk in where the dogs are and then around their house the parvo is all over the floors and you could or anyone bring it home or spread it. Keep kids away from them. There has been rare cases of people (young) coming down with it when exposed. Best of luck even with vet help most don't make it. Unless you catch it early on.

Black tar stool could be the start of it. It will have diff. Color and looks to each case (mild change) will smell like death.
Yes you should get a test done at the least.

Last edited:
The best chance that pup has is subcutaneous hydration if you are unable to let the vet do hydration by IV. If you can find a vet that will allow you to purchase the solution, you can do it yourself. You just pick up the skin and put the needle under the skin. It will make a bubble, then you massage the bubble and it will distribute the solution throughout the body. You will have to do this in a few different spots. I think I inserted 50cc at a time in 3 or 4 different locations. I done this 3 or 4 times a day. I also gave the pup reglan which is for nausea.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom