Anyone have good luck buying/modifying a prefab or some other structure? (Seattle area)

May 28, 2020
Bonney Lake, Washington
We're about to close on a new home, move date should be end of January. I'm nervous about the overlap in that + selling our current home, so trying to figure out the best way to get a good coop built quickly. We built our original coop but took about a month and I don't think we'll have that time to do it ourselves. At this point debating any option - cross-country delivery, paying someone local, modifying a shed. I'm really nuts about predator protection and would prefer to build a big enclosed run ourselves, so really just looking for a coop big enough for less than 10 hens.

is there going to be a gap between the closing and you moving in?

id contact someone local and hire them to start building a coop and predator proof enclosed run once you close on the house.
Small gap, but unfortunately we're renting back to the sellers. We might see about building while they're still there. That's what I'm thinking as well...

Honestly, prefabs are usually not terribly great and too small.

A little baby barn with linoleum floors would work well for you if you can source one. I have a 8X16ft for 30 hens (includes area for food storage), but you could get one that’s a lot smaller

We have lots of predators including weasels and have had great luck with a set up like this. Look at the link in my profile (to my coop article) if you’re looking for ideas.

Small gap, but unfortunately we're renting back to the sellers. We might see about building while they're still there. That's what I'm thinking as well...
at that point you own the house and can do as you please.

that’s the route i’d go. all the work gets done before you move in and you have a turnkey hen house.

plus, you can design it exactly the way you want it.

at that point you own the house and can do as you please.

that’s the route i’d go. all the work gets done before you move in and you have a turnkey hen house.

plus, you can design it exactly the way you want it.
Any recommendations on finding a builder? Mostly I'm worried about controlling the design for good predator proofing and ventilation.

Any recommendations on finding a builder? Mostly I'm worried about controlling the design for good predator proofing and ventilation.
my wife found our builder on facebook. he and his wife own a farm about a mile from our house and he has a contracting business on the side.

id search contractors and make sure they understand the importance of predator proofing. personally, i like using thumbtack to find people.

Honestly, prefabs are usually not terribly great and too small.
Depends on the pre-fab. My coop is from a pre-fab franchise in my area. The folks who built my coop have a reputation for honesty and quality work.

I ordered an 8x10 with a door for the chickens and one for me, two windows with screens, and five or six nest boxes. When I ordered my building, I had a chance to see an enclosed coop/run combo they were doing as a custom order that was quite impressive.

Depends on the pre-fab. My coop is from a pre-fab franchise in my area. The folks who built my coop have a reputation for honesty and quality work.

I ordered an 8x10 with a door for the chickens and one for me, two windows with screens, and five or six nest boxes. When I ordered my building, I had a chance to see an enclosed coop/run combo they were doing as a custom order that was quite impressive.

I would consider that more of a custom build then a prefab. By prefab I’m referring mostly to the off the shelves versions sold online and by farm stores.

Customs are lovely if you can find the right person/team to make them.

Back
Top Bottom