anyone have good pics of a nursery set up for Momma & new chicks?

Kelly FG

Songster
13 Years
Jan 13, 2007
Ridge
I have a broody on 6 eggs, I need suggetions on how to create a space saving set-up. My coop is too small but I have a greenhouse that is totally shady in the summer & I was thinking of putting her in there. What does a momma and a handful of chicks need?

I built this addition for rearing chicks. The addition includes a brooding house and pen, which gives the hen and chicks plenty of room and seperates them from the rest of the flock. Ideally they need there own area until they are old enough to join the flock. Also keeps other chickens from eating the chicks starter rations/chick feed. More info/pics here.

chickens02.jpg

chickens03.jpg

chickens13.jpg

floorplan01.jpg

Last edited:
I know you said that your coop wasnt large enough for something inside, but this little pen was built inside the storage area of the Delaware coop, especially for a broody and chicks, and it may give you an idea. It's about 38" long and 28" wide and 24" high, with a top that lifts up and an end door that opens for them to exit the pen by. It's now housing the second broody, but earlier this year, I had a broody in that spot, but in a wire dog kennel, shut in with cardboard taped around the lower openings.

DCP_2800.jpg

DCP_2799.jpg

DCP_2798.jpg

Back
Top Bottom