*** Anyone have Honeybee's with Guineas and Chickens ? ***

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MyraNC, Dec 21, 2008.

1. MyraNC

MyraNC Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2008
    Central North Carolina
    I'm doing my part by getting a couple of hives in April and wondered if my guineas and chickens will eat them as they come out of the hive or will they know they will get stung?

Someone told me the birds will eat the moths that land on the hives and will leave the bees alone. How do your birds treat your bees? Thanks

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Bees + chickens = [​IMG]

Guineas + bees = [​IMG] [​IMG]

If the guineas can get to the hive entrance they will camp there an eat every bee they see. Mount the hives high with no shelf for the guineas to stand on.

3. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Yea, lots of us with bees have chickens, but I have no experience with guineas, it doesn't sound good [​IMG]

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I have all three. The bees are very far removed from the guineas and chickens. No way for any of them to get to the hives.

5. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    We have our bee hives under some apple trees and the older chickens would go near them every day but didn't seem to bother the bees since there was plenty of apples to eat. Our muscovy ducks would sometimes try to eat some but usually wouldn't. I haven't gotten any guineas yet though.

6. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Yeah guineas and bees.....big no no..... Just make sure they are far enough away from each other.

7. erinm

erinm Posting For A change

Feb 24, 2007
    Central Massachusetts
    My chickens have effectively gotten rid of all the ground nests in our yard. I would watch them sit at the entrances and nab the bees as they came out. yellowjackets i guess because they were in the ground? I am not complaining, my husband is allergic, otherwise i would have honeybee hives. If we move to somewhere with a large prperty I mat try, that way I can keep them out of his way. Erinm

8. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    lol [​IMG] when do guinies learn their lessons about the pain. [​IMG]

9. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Bees may not affect them?

10. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    For some reason guineas don't seem to get stung.... they will sit in from of the hive until they bees stop flying in. It's like candy to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by