Anyone have luck with nesting boxes outside coop?

Tippyman

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 31, 2014
I just made a nesting box outside the coop to try and alleviate any crowding and competition I may have once laying picks up this spring. My coop is small and there was no room inside for another box, so I made one outside near the coop.

It's a 5 gallon bucket with another cut open and spread on top to act as a weather guard. The nesting box they have inside the coop now is also a 5 gallon bucket, so I'm hoping they take to it. This one is obviously not as secure and safe as one nestled inside a dark coop, so I don't know if they'll use it.

They did use a dog kennel I left in the run for a while before I caught on to them! Laid 19 eggs inside before I realized they were using it!

Anyone else have something like this? How'd it work out for you?

Mine free range all day and lay where it suits them occasionally
They mostly stick to the communal boxes I have but not always and not when broody

From time to time they have used the dog kennel which is at the other end of the field in a shelter the geese nest in, and even wheelie bin laying on its side, (very popular with the Appenzellars) and we found 28 eggs in a clutch under a topiary snails last spring.

For use in the fields in the summer I have a converted caravan as a coop which for the winter is parked up by my garage I have one of this years hatch that waits for me to open it up every morning.

Saw one hen go in it, sit for a couple of minutes, and leave. No eggs.

I put a couple of wooden eggs in the box to encourage them. We'll see.

I ended up doing this because they were laying outside the coop. I'm new to chickens, so I thought it'd be easier on all of us if I just put something more secure in the area they were using. So far, it's been working well!

Last edited:
Someone keeps hopping in but not laying. All the shavings and wooden eggs are moved. Maybe they're getting the hint.

Back
Top Bottom