Anyone have partridge as pets?

rebecca10782

Songster
11 Years
Apr 24, 2008
What are they like? Do they live well with chickens? And what color eggs do they lay?

Last edited:
Define Partridge...... There Are Many Speces. And Usually They Are Hard To Deal With In Captivity And No They Dont Do Well With Chickens Speaking From A General Stance That Is... The Most Common Partridge Found In General Breeding Is 1. Chukar In Your Choice Of 3 Colors- Standard Grey, White, And Red. 2. Hungarians 3. Red Legged French. All Are Gamebirds That Do Best In Wild Looking Open Aviaries With Lots Of Structure For Them, All Are Gamebirds That Are Flighty And Spook Easily, All Are Gamebirds That Can Be Lil Peck Monsters (my Money Would Be On The Partridge In A Fight, They Can Be Quite Mean To Themselves And Other Birds) Also Chickens Transmit Diseases To Gamebirds Easily While The Chickens Themselves Never Experience Any Illness, So No They Dont Make Good Bedfellows. As Far As Eggs Most Are An Offwhite Or Cream Color Eggs That I Have Seen In Partridge Speces. Hope This Helps...

my chucks live with my chicks... chucks-n-chicks!!! hhaaa have not had any problems so far! the chukars dont bother the chickens and the chikens dont bother the chucks... they are like two little gangs the chukars on one side and the chikens on the other side of the coop!!!

Yes i raise them as pets. I currently have a flock that consists of 49 adults at the moment. As long as you handle them alot when they are little babies and keep handling them as they grow they will make great pets. They are currently living with some of my chicks but we are building their own coop soon.

I figure as long as I handle them alot starting at day 1, it should be fine. I don't think I am going to get any because of their size. We don't have an aviary. It is hard enough to keep chickens alive
sad.png

I have two species, Barbary and regular Chucks. I have them in assorted pens with my pheasants and out and about. I have a couple outside that follow me around like a flock of kids. They come and go as they please, but enjoy the cover I have for them and the snacks. They disappear about laying time is all, then come back with their babies. I've only ever had one bad chukar. He was a suped up male that got ticked off and killed two swinhoe hens, which I blamed onthe cock until the chukar killed the cock the next day. He will make a fine taxidermied specimen.

I raise mine with my chickens as well. The chukars prefer to be outside, and leave the coop to the chickens. If you handle them a lot, they are not as flighty, and they can be very personable. They do REALLY well in the winter time, which is why I like them so much.

Back
Top Bottom