1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone have plans to make a plucker from a working washing machine?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by andalusn, Apr 10, 2011.

1. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    I have the plans for the Whizbang version but saw a video of basically the same thing but it was a washing machine that was "modified". Anyone know where I can get plans for this type of chicken plucker?

2. rickerra

rickerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    I've seen lots of whizbang plucker videos. And the table-top kinds... some attached to drills. And I've seen one video of a disassembled dryer with plucking fingers attached to the outer side of the drum and was basically a huge table-top kind.

But I don't think I've seen a video of a modified washing machine. Can you link the video?

I too am researching the different options out there.

Cheers!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

So Monday is laundry day and Friday is butchering day? [​IMG] Sorry, the mental idea just kinda has me rollin over here!

2 people like this.
  4. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:

5. rickerra

rickerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    Ha... look at that. Very nice looking install.

Looks like they used the washing machine drum and installed the plucking fingers in it.
    They also cut out the bottom of the drum and installed a whizbang-style feather-plate with fingers on it.
    Pretty cool how they used the washer plumbing to have it spray water in the tub.

The big question for me would be how it's all assembled "under the hood".
    How do they attach/spin the feather-plate? Were they able to use the washer motor?

The video caption dated Sept,28 '08 says
    I submitted an article to Backyard Poultry magazine on a tub plucker we made out of a washing mashine. The article, parts break down, and plans should be in a future issue.

Anyone ever see that article?

Cheers!​

6. andalusn

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    Quote:Anyone ever see that article?

Cheers!

I sent an email to the poster of the video and he sent me a pdf of the directions on how it was made. Just received them today in fact [​IMG] DH has more reading material!

7. MaBo

MaBo Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    Oregon
    Quote:Can you post the plans here? Or, I will send you a PM...

8. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Quote:Anyone ever see that article?

Cheers!

I sent an email to the poster of the video and he sent me a pdf of the directions on how it was made. Just received them today in fact [​IMG] DH has more reading material!

What a tease! Please post a link!

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

DH and I are still considering whether to try meat birds or not. If we decide to, then we're trying one of the washing machine pluckers - those rubber fingers are expensive though!!! At least enough for a washer.

10. andalusn

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    Quote:I sent an email to the poster of the video and he sent me a pdf of the directions on how it was made. Just received them today in fact [​IMG] DH has more reading material!

What a tease! Please post a link!

Not sure what you mean, the link to the utube video? It's easy to find by searching their site and entering in "chicken plucker". I had to go through utube to email the creator of the video or his plans. There is not a lot from the actual washing machine that is used.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by