Anyone have Potbelly Pig Advice ?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by I*Eat*Chickens*Yum, Jul 25, 2008.

1. I*Eat*Chickens*Yum

I*Eat*Chickens*Yum Chillin' With My Peeps

MY wife and I have been talking about getting a potbelly pig for a pet. We have been looking for awhile and have researched them but.....the best advice is from down to earth people who have had experience with them. Have any of you folks ever had one ?

Any advice ? Are they as easy to keep as my research suggests?

Is there anything we should watch out for ?

Reoccurring problems amongst PP's ?

Thanks for any advice !

2. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    If you want to keep your yard looking good, keep it penned up. If you get one, make sure it is truley a potbelly and not a 150# PIG. They are soooo cute when young and they can be house trained but I would NEVER have another one.

3. I*Eat*Chickens*Yum

I*Eat*Chickens*Yum Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the advice. The yard is one of my major concerns as I have spent thousand dollars and as many hours making my lawn look great.

We would set aside a certain are for the piggy.

I also told my wife that we would absolutely have to see the parents to ensure the one we get is a small potbelly and not some "monster". lol

Thanks again !

4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    They don't make good eatin...that's about all I know for sure...

My BIL's brother offered to take one off a man he worked with that was trying to find a home for his pig - the classic situation.... thought they were getting a true mini-pig and ended up with a 180 lb porker that was too big for their yard, etc. I doubt seriously that the guy thought my BIL's brother was taking the pig for meat, but...

Anyway, they butchered and dressed out that pig - ended up with only like 40 lbs of meat, and that was so marbled with fat they basically couldn't do anything but make sausage out of it.

Hope you find a good, SMALL pet pig!

5. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    Before you invest in one, check around in your area for a good porcine vet. Pigs have special medical needs and a good vet is a must. I LOVE PB pigs!!!! I have wanted one forever, but I have heard that dogs and pigs do not get along very well, and that otherwise nice friendly dogs will attack a pig. Since our dogs rule around here, I dont want to take the chance that they wouldnt get along. Good luck [​IMG] !!!

6. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I have 3 older pots and I really enjoy having them here.
    You will have to check your zoning laws. Sometimes pots end up grouped with exotic animals in zoning laws.
    I noticed that you are in Maine. The pig would need a decent shelter or a barn in the winter. Unless it's going to be a house pig. My pigs snuggle up to each other during the winter to stay warm. You might want to consider having 2 pigs to keep each other warm.
    Pots do root. But you can cut back on that behavior by hiding vegetables for them to find. People with indoor pots will make a rooting box for them. You can fill the box with rocks or pool balls or whatever and hide treats inside of it for them. It satisfies the rooting instinct and keeps them busy.
    They are smart and food motivated. So they need something to keep them occupied. My pots are older now and don't root very often, but they monitor the apple trees and when the apples start falling they head there every morning for a snack.
    At the end of the season I turn the garden over to them and they do a great job of turning everything under for me.
    They love blankets. They will shred them to make their beds, but really enjoy doing it. It's fun to watch them make their beds with blankets or straw in the evening.
    Don't fall for the micro mini pig nonsense. Pots can get pretty big.
    They get pretty lazy as they age. If you start with a piglet you will go through the whole rooting thing. You might want to consider getting an adult from a rescue. There are plenty of them out there. They all have distinct personalities. So, if you go to a rescue spend some time with them.
    Instead of me rambling on just ask any questions you can think of and I'll be glad to answer them. Pots are a lot of fun, but not for everyone.

7. Brendalee5

Brendalee5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2015
    Creston, Iowa
    I have a potbelly pig and she lives in my house. I love her just like one of my children. They are easy to train and are the best pet you could have. She is potty trained to go outside, she goes to the back door to let me know she needs out. She waves hi, she sits, she plays the piano and many other things. She loves to go for walks and loves to cuddle on the couch. She is a year old now and is the sweetheart. She goes outside to play and she does not tear up the yard, yes she roots in the site but not like big holes, she just moves the dirt around and plays in it. She really love her mud hole and she will run in the yard to try and get our dog to play with her. PBP are great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by