1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone have their chickens in more than one coop?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jmc, Aug 4, 2008.

1. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Question:

I have a small of RIR pullets who are about to outgrow their coop. I'm planning to build a little coop for the 2 'leftovers', but here's my question:

Will I, by doing this, create two separate environments for each coop and thus risk cross contaminating each flock as I work with them (I'm the only caregiver, presently)?

Coop will only house five, not seven. If I can't safely divide the flock, then I'll process the two dear 'leftovers', then they won't be leftovers any more!!!:eek:

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Can you not increase the size of your current coop - keep them separate if needed and eventually cut a door between the two or something like that?

3. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    I do/will have my chickens in 2 seperate, but adjoining coops. We have a coop/run for the 4 "big girls" who are 20 weeks old, and we got when they were 4 weeks old. When DH built their coop, he knew he wanted more babies, but didnt plan accordingly.
    We have 11 "babies" who are 10 weeks old living in temporary run off the shed.
    We were originally going to add on to the coop and run, and stick them all together. But we decided to keep them seperate for several reasons. The big girls are JUST starting to lay eggs and I really don't want to disrupt that in any way. Plus, we have a chicken-loving elderly couple neighbors who very much like it when the "big girls" come to visit them. SO if they are in a seperate run, we can let them out all day without having the 11 little hoodlums terrorizing the rest of the neighbors LOL
    As for cross-contamination, I never thought of that, but I dont think it would make much difference if they were in 2 seperate places as opposed to being all together. In fact, if one were to get sick, it might spread less, or slower between 2 houses. And if a predator gets into 1, you still have the other.

4. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    We just turned my office (a refurbished barn) Into a 12x14 coop-- our plan is to build a small coop by time anyone starts laying, and separate the boys from the girls....

If no Roo's, I'd go by age--- maybe let the older hens have a quiet place where the youn-un's aren't being too rambunctious?

But I agree-- maybe just building an addition to the current coop would be less disruptive to them?

5. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    We have a modified wooden 'swingset' coop for the 7 standard birds and are using our little a-frame coop for my 6 banty birds (1 silkie & 5 d'uccles). These are side by side.
    They all free-range together so I don't think cross-contamination is an issue. And since they only free-range under supervision I know my banties aren't getting stepped on all day, which they would if they shared a coop with the 'big girls'.

DH gripes that it would be easier to care for them if we put them all together. But I want my little chickers to be happy and I think that means living in a banty coop.

6. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Good god, I have 7 coops all attached but with seperate entrances.......Is that not normal? [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  7. goldensunriseranch

goldensunriseranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    I have separate coops too. I have a coop for the large fowl, a banty cochin coop, and then 7 separate pens in my barn for my silkies and some other odds & ends. And then turkeys run the place and go wherever they want along with some young chickens that are running with the turkeys.

8. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I have 2 coops, one for chickens and one for ducks. We'll probably end up building a small pen so that we can keep chicks separate from the older birds.

9. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I have a HUGE old barn that I am slowly converting into a chicken house. I have already converted one stall and am in process of doing another now by dividing it into 2 runs. This will give me 3 seperate coops but all under the same roof. I also have 2 3x3x6 foot cages that I transition my chicks from brooder to grown-up coop in. When I'm done I plan on having 6 different pens with a small flock of pure bred chickens in each plus the 2 small cages for young birds. This way I can have variety but keep the strains pure.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  10. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I have 5 small coops, all in the same big run. We have added new coops as we added chickens. It works out well for us. Different age groups are in different coops, so no one is bullied at night.

It looks like a little chicken apartment complex! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by