Anyone have their coop inside of a large run? Pics?

Having trouble finding photos of this, curious if anyone has a free-standing coop inside of their run. With the space we've chosen for our coop and side of the run, coop on the outside would eat up a bit of space, so debating putting it inside. Would love to see yours if you've done this!

The main thing I'm uncertain on is best way to do access to the coop from the outside of the run. If I have the coop flush with the side of the run and build around it, that'd give me the main coop door access so I don't have to enter the run to access them or clean. I don't care about the nest box access from in or out, we have very few layers.
1643465929059.jpeg

Im very happy with my setup. The run is behind.

Wow, I love this post! At first I was hesitant to answer because my coop and run are most definitely a "use what you have" job. But seeing pictures of other people's set ups is great.

My coop is an old woodshed and I built the run around it. I do have to enter the run to get to the coop, but it works for me.

I have a small flock (five hens) and my dogs herd my girls back into the run when I let them free range in my backyard.

Attachments

• 20211106_170216.jpg
    20211106_170216.jpg
    740.5 KB · Views: 12
Having trouble finding photos of this, curious if anyone has a free-standing coop inside of their run. With the space we've chosen for our coop and side of the run, coop on the outside would eat up a bit of space, so debating putting it inside. Would love to see yours if you've done this!

The main thing I'm uncertain on is best way to do access to the coop from the outside of the run. If I have the coop flush with the side of the run and build around it, that'd give me the main coop door access so I don't have to enter the run to access them or clean. I don't care about the nest box access from in or out, we have very few layers.
4D2DCDC5-465E-4771-A6D9-E74419102910.jpeg

Our coop is outside of the run. The door to get in the run is just outside of the picture frame on the right. This run setup is temporary. We erected it during the CoVid lockdown and it has been sufficient so far. We will eventually made a more framed and partially covered run with the same set up having the coop “outside” the run. You can see the nesting box on the left of the coop “outside” of the run as well. The main door for us to get inside the coop can be seen here too. My husband put a smaller lift up hatch on the other side of the coop for us to use to clean out the coop. That is “inside” the coop on the opposite side of the main door.
You can see the chicken ladder coming down the side of the coop. We have an automatic door that lets the chickens in and out.
It’s not the Taj Mahal, but it works. 😉

This is a photo of the coop I built. The main frame of the existing structure formed the shape of the run. I built a free standing coop inside. It has 6 laying boxes, a large main floor, and roosting bars inside. Our chickens seem to prefer roosting on the outside the coop bars, but they are available if it gets really cold. I feed and water the chickens inside the run, so mice and rats cannot get to the food.

Attachments

• IMG_1303.jpg
    IMG_1303.jpg
    945.5 KB · Views: 13
Here! My big red one is my main one. I use Premier 1 chicken fence. the small one is for silkies and I do not electrify it becauseView attachment 2967738 it is inside the electrified fence.View attachment 2967733
Wow! Your red coop looks like exactly what I want! Do you have a picture of the roof, inside, or how you put in ventilation? Also, I see snow but I was wondering what climate you live in. I live in northern Vermont and we get some very cold and snowy winters.

Here are many pictures showing the coop inside the run, not taking up any of the actual floor space. Nest boxes accessed from inside the run and 4 clean out doors around the back.
My five hens love this chicken palace.

Last summer I had 3 coops inside a giant run made from 100 feet of electric netting.

It's not optimal, because the coop eats run space, but it did allow me to use non-secure facilities for broody-breaking and integration.View attachment 2967915View attachment 2967916View attachment 2967917View attachment 2967918
3killlerBs I notice in your first picture on the side of the coop - there looks to be a stack of bricks. Is that to keep critters from digging underneath ? I have trouble with rats borrowing and getting into my coop.

Back
Top Bottom