Anyone have their coop inside of a large run? Pics?

Here they are…
we wrap 95% of it in the winter with construction plastic to keep out the wind, rain, snow. Keeps the sand floor nice and dry, I put hay on the floor under the coop for them to nestle into when it’s chilly.
inside the coop is a sand floor(on top of linoleum) for ease of cleaning. I use a long handled kitty litter scoop to clean the inside of the run and the coop, takes less than 10 minutes every day
four clean out doors ensure that I can easily reach every corner without any effort. They also have two Cozy Coop radiant heaters attached to the wall behind their roost bars for the winter, and a farm fan for hot summer nights. When the weather is warm the two back windows and the one large front window stay open for lots of ventilation and breezes.
The electric door in the front means I don’t have to go out there early and let them out…it runs on a times, so in summer it opens really early, and closes late…in winter it opens later and closes early.
we put solar motion lights on all four sides, and PredatorGuard on all four sides as well. The hardware cloth is buried two feet out from the base of the coop to prevent anything from digging under.
Well, that's spectacular! And so civilized. Great pictures.

I have two prefab currently, both with under coop access so they don't actually take up "space" in my 20x20 run. Planning to build a new coop attached to the feed room this supper and repurpose the prefabs into starter houses for new flock members. Only problem... I assembled these IN the run, now I'm going to have to take a piece of wire off the run to get them out! 🤦‍♀️😆
That's a stunning backdrop.

We took a full day weaving hawk strings over our yard and at one point had to undo half of them to get a new coop in there, ha!

I do! I will get a pic wait a minute.
We have a 10x20 metal wire enclosure with 2 coops in it. Seems to work well. The Yaris are for rain and to block north wind on cold days.

Attachments

• 13A8D4DE-271B-4B57-A2D8-608BBF98B1D8.jpeg
    13A8D4DE-271B-4B57-A2D8-608BBF98B1D8.jpeg
    946.2 KB · Views: 8
I have two prefab currently, both with under coop access so they don't actually take up "space" in my 20x20 run. Planning to build a new coop attached to the feed room this supper and repurpose the prefabs into starter houses for new flock members. Only problem... I assembled these IN the run, now I'm going to have to take a piece of wire off the run to get them out! 🤦‍♀️😆
Can you take them apart partially, to get them out? I had the same issue with removing my prefab (ended up keeping most of it in the run anyhow) but was able to disassemble it into 3 smaller chunks (around 30 lbs each) vs 1 bigger, heavier piece (100lbs) that simply was too wide to fit through the gate.

I'm curious why this is an issue for anyone, unless they just don't like getting chicken poop on their boots. Do other people not actually walk among their chickens to assess their health and weight, give treats, or just pet and spend time with them? Do you just pull eggs out of nest boxes and fill feed/water?
Most of my enjoyment of my chickens comes from spending time in the run with them.
I don't like the poop on the boots, since my dogs will try and lick the boots clean. So that's why I pick up obvious poops in the run every day. I do scrape off the bottom of the boots each time I leave the run but can't get every last bit off.

Other issue with coop inside the run is when dealing with snow, it's just an extra consideration with how I clear out snow, especially since my coop door swings pretty close to my split run wall/door. So I need to be mindful of where I pile the cleared snow, can't just toss it wherever.

I have a coop that I created from a playhouse. The coop is attached on the backside to the run via the automatic door. The coop has a side door that I access to go into it and the run. I can also go into the run through the gates. The run is about 1400 square feet total. Hope this helps!
IMG_20210702_154744406.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220119_125819887.jpg
    IMG_20220119_125819887.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
Having trouble finding photos of this, curious if anyone has a free-standing coop inside of their run. With the space we've chosen for our coop and side of the run, coop on the outside would eat up a bit of space, so debating putting it inside. Would love to see yours if you've done this!

The main thing I'm uncertain on is best way to do access to the coop from the outside of the run. If I have the coop flush with the side of the run and build around it, that'd give me the main coop door access so I don't have to enter the run to access them or clean. I don't care about the nest box access from in or out, we have very few layers.
YES!!! That was exactly that I had envisaged my coop/run to look like, so we bought a small coop, then a run to that enclosed the coop in it. The run has doors at both ends, the run is big enough for me to stand up in (it's 180cm high). We put laser light over the coop section to keep them dry in the winter. It's great for summer and winter, we also let them out for a run around when we are home

Attachments

• WIN_20220130_18_50_10_Scan.jpg
    WIN_20220130_18_50_10_Scan.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 9
  • WIN_20220130_18_49_58_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220130_18_49_58_Pro.jpg
    770 KB · Views: 11
We copied the style of ‘Carolina coops’. I don’t have the greatest photos but here’s what I can find to show. The door accessing the coop side is now split down the middle as two doors (the photo shows before when we tried to make it one large swing door). But hopefully this gives you an idea. And of course the hen who got locked outside was carried in when I found her 😂

Attachments

• AAB6C10D-94F5-4F5A-9673-6D03390A4CD8.jpeg
    AAB6C10D-94F5-4F5A-9673-6D03390A4CD8.jpeg
    673.2 KB · Views: 15
  • F51BAFEA-1ADC-433A-BE4A-BF23E0B499E9.jpeg
    F51BAFEA-1ADC-433A-BE4A-BF23E0B499E9.jpeg
    983.2 KB · Views: 12
  • D2C0A5C5-084C-4DEE-B089-B4A573653D2C.jpeg
    D2C0A5C5-084C-4DEE-B089-B4A573653D2C.jpeg
    688.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 89485BC8-C2A7-448A-BE59-B880C33EFDD4.jpeg
    89485BC8-C2A7-448A-BE59-B880C33EFDD4.jpeg
    662.2 KB · Views: 13
We copied the style of ‘Carolina coops’. I don’t have the greatest photos but here’s what I can find to show. The door accessing the coop side is now split down the middle as two doors (the photo shows before when we tried to make it one large swing door). But hopefully this gives you an idea. And of course the hen who got locked outside was carried in when I found her 😂

Welcome to BYC.

That's a lovely setup with so much fresh air for the birds. Where, in general, are you?

Back
Top Bottom