Anyone have their covey go violent?

BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 18, 2011
san jose
I sold 9 quail to someone, thought there were only 2 males but there turned out to be 4 (young A&Ms) but in any case they had spent a month or more together. Once the customer brought them home they actually got more space and were split into 2 groups. I started getting emails about bloody quail. Partially I imagine it was because the ratio was off but these guys had been pretty peaceful in a space that was frankly too small for them as they matured. What are some triggers that make quail go violent?

The female that lays the biggest eggs is somewhat violent, she pecked the eyes out a male once. But since her eggs are so big I tend to incubate them. Is violence hereditary?

edit: before I sold the group they were already laying and mating so they didn't mature after being sold.

Last edited:
Stress will cause them to go batty as will sub-standard foods. You already talked about housing and ratios.

How are the birds stressed? They just got moved to a new location, less numbers in a flock can make them feel vulnerable. Willing to bet the new owners aren't doing a hands off approach...probably since they are new they are getting held and petted like a puppy...quail or hands off birds, looky no touchy....so anyway, all that to say this, it could be a number of things causing them to behave in this odd manner.

Back
Top Bottom