Anyone have their own small hatchery?

CANDLE98

Songster
11 Years
Dec 29, 2008
Meridian Idaho
Has anyone does this? I just found out that my Great-Great grandparents owned their own hatchery in the 1930's until it burned down in the 1950's. I guess that is where I get my chicken crazyness from! But I was interested in starting a hatchery maybe in the future. What do you guys think?

I am going to start off with just selling eggs, and then ask around my small town to see if there would be anyone interested in buying chicks when mine start hatching. I also want to trademark the name of my Great-Great grandparents hatchery.

Anyone with small hatcherys out there?

I bought a Sportsman incubator and in the off season, when the two feed stores in town are no longer selling chicks, I sell all that I can hatch at $3 each. But, we live in a rural, farming community in the country and there's always a need for chicks.

I have a tiny hatching business
smile.png
It's fun theres something so fun about hatching eggs for someone else
big_smile.png
Ofcourse its' fun hatching for myself too but it's fun making life for someone else to enjoy cute lil fuzz butts
big_smile.png

my grandpa had a guinea pig farm and my great grandpa had a miniature horse farm, OH and my other great grandpa had a netherland dwarf hobby...I think it's safe to say i got the animal hobby part right but not the animals
smile.png
Though I did have a rabbitry and a rattery annnnd i've owned a few miniature horses in my time
lau.gif

I have a 70+ year old cabinet incubator I use, it works like brand new and i Love it
big_smile.png

My wife thinks I do!

At present I have 42 chickens.

I'll be eating at least 3 of them and selling a goodly number so I'm going to try to get back down to 25.

We'll see how I do.

Back
Top Bottom