1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone have their own small hatchery?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by CANDLE98, Apr 24, 2009.

1. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    Has anyone does this? I just found out that my Great-Great grandparents owned their own hatchery in the 1930's until it burned down in the 1950's. I guess that is where I get my chicken crazyness from! But I was interested in starting a hatchery maybe in the future. What do you guys think?

I am going to start off with just selling eggs, and then ask around my small town to see if there would be anyone interested in buying chicks when mine start hatching. I also want to trademark the name of my Great-Great grandparents hatchery.

Anyone with small hatcherys out there?

2. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    So I think I should have posted this in the breeders/hatchery topic. Could someone move it for me? Thanks!

Jessica

3. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    I bought a Sportsman incubator and in the off season, when the two feed stores in town are no longer selling chicks, I sell all that I can hatch at $3 each. But, we live in a rural, farming community in the country and there's always a need for chicks.

4. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I have a tiny hatching business [​IMG] It's fun theres something so fun about hatching eggs for someone else [​IMG] Ofcourse its' fun hatching for myself too but it's fun making life for someone else to enjoy cute lil fuzz butts [​IMG]

my grandpa had a guinea pig farm and my great grandpa had a miniature horse farm, OH and my other great grandpa had a netherland dwarf hobby...I think it's safe to say i got the animal hobby part right but not the animals [​IMG] Though I did have a rabbitry and a rattery annnnd i've owned a few miniature horses in my time [​IMG]

I have a 70+ year old cabinet incubator I use, it works like brand new and i Love it [​IMG]

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My wife thinks I do!

At present I have 42 chickens.

I'll be eating at least 3 of them and selling a goodly number so I'm going to try to get back down to 25.

We'll see how I do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by