Anyone have wood ducks for sale?

Does anyone know a place I could get wood ducks? Or if anyone sells wood ducks and could ship them? I would want a adult wood duck pair or one dozen hatching eggs
I would want to wait for spring!
I'll most likely have juvenile pairs available next fall. It will be my first year selling ornamental waterfowl. I don't have experience shipping eggs, but I may be able to try it. Will you have a large flight pen with a pond accessible for them?

I'll most likely have juvenile pairs available next fall. It will be my first year selling ornamental waterfowl. I don't have experience shipping eggs, but I may be able to try it. Will you have a large flight pen with a pond accessible for them?
Yes, I would build them one, and already we are gonna dig a fon d four to six feet deep. How does the pen need to be? How much are you selling them for? Can they ever be with my ducks? What is the ducklings survival rate? Will the hens hatch eggs every year?

Yes, I would build them one, and already we are gonna dig a fon d four to six feet deep. How does the pen need to be? How much are you selling them for? Can they ever be with my ducks? What is the ducklings survival rate? Will the hens hatch eggs every year?
Will the pen be around the pond? Wood ducks can and will escape. It needs to be fully enclosed and predator proof.
How big around will the pond be? They really don't need a huge pond. I have a 10x14 pond in my pen, it's about a foot deep. It has a large pond liner in it. I have 21 ducks and in there and it's plenty big. Concrete ponds are also good but I've never personally had one.
The pen size will depend on how many wood ducks you want.
They can not ever be in with domestic ducks, no. Call ducks are the only kind of domestic duck that can sometimes be in with the ornamentals. Wood ducks are really very small. I can fit my hands all the way around their body and I have small hands. Bigger ducks will hurt them, even if they just step on them.
The ducklings can be very difficult to get eating. They're much more difficult to brood than domestics. They need to be kept EXTREMELY clean, the brooder should be completely cleaned at least twice a day.
The hens should if they're kept well and not stressed out. Usually they'll breed their first year, but some won't. Each hen lays around a dozen eggs per year. That's why most breeders do not sell ducklings or eggs. Any eggs you may find available will cost the same as buying the birds themselves, since so few eggs are laid. The hens should not hatch the eggs themselves, it's difficult to allow the parents to rear ducklings because there are so many ways they can hurt themselves. Brooding them yourself is usually much safer.
I don't know what I would sell any for yet, we'll just have to see how they do and if both pairs make it through the winter ok.

Will the pen be around the pond? Wood ducks can and will escape. It needs to be fully enclosed and predator proof.
How big around will the pond be? They really don't need a huge pond. I have a 10x14 pond in my pen, it's about a foot deep. It has a large pond liner in it. I have 21 ducks and in there and it's plenty big. Concrete ponds are also good but I've never personally had one.
The pen size will depend on how many wood ducks you want.
They can not ever be in with domestic ducks, no. Call ducks are the only kind of domestic duck that can sometimes be in with the ornamentals. Wood ducks are really very small. I can fit my hands all the way around their body and I have small hands. Bigger ducks will hurt them, even if they just step on them.
The ducklings can be very difficult to get eating. They're much more difficult to brood than domestics. They need to be kept EXTREMELY clean, the brooder should be completely cleaned at least twice a day.
The hens should if they're kept well and not stressed out. Usually they'll breed their first year, but some won't. Each hen lays around a dozen eggs per year. That's why most breeders do not sell ducklings or eggs. Any eggs you may find available will cost the same as buying the birds themselves, since so few eggs are laid. The hens should not hatch the eggs themselves, it's difficult to allow the parents to rear ducklings because there are so many ways they can hurt themselves. Brooding them yourself is usually much safer.
I don't know what I would sell any for yet, we'll just have to see how they do and if both pairs make it through the winter ok.
The pond would be inside the duck run. Will a 10×10 pond work for a wood duck pair? When they are babies should I not hold them? I would clean out their cage every day. Do they need a different kind of food than domestic ducks? What do I do if they won't eat? And what about nesting when they are hatching ducklings what kind of nesting boxes do they need? And for one wood duck pair do you know how big the duck house needs to be?

Back
Top Bottom