Anyone having issues with crumble not being eaten?

katiemsea

In the Brooder
Nov 27, 2021
I have 3 chicks--5 wks old now--who have only had "Nature's Best Organic Feeds" chick starter/grower that I get from Tractor Supply. It comes in a crumble form and for the first 3-4 wks I ran it through a food processor (pulse 5x) to break it up a bit. Their brooder is a tent with shredded paper (think hamster bedding) and there is a heck of a lot of food scattered around. Waste, really, because they just don't seem to eat the larger pieces. Also--I"m not sure the stuff I'm buying is all that fresh. There's no expiration date, just a printed code (batch #?)--but it's listed as 20% protein on the label, whereas the website says the protein level is 18%. I can't find a local feed mill, and with so few chicks (will have a total of 6) I'd rather buy small batches. Mash feed doesn't seem to be available at TSC. Any suggestions?

I have 3 chicks--5 wks old now--who have only had "Nature's Best Organic Feeds" chick starter/grower that I get from Tractor Supply. It comes in a crumble form and for the first 3-4 wks I ran it through a food processor (pulse 5x) to break it up a bit. Their brooder is a tent with shredded paper (think hamster bedding) and there is a heck of a lot of food scattered around. Waste, really, because they just don't seem to eat the larger pieces. Also--I"m not sure the stuff I'm buying is all that fresh. There's no expiration date, just a printed code (batch #?)--but it's listed as 20% protein on the label, whereas the website says the protein level is 18%. I can't find a local feed mill, and with so few chicks (will have a total of 6) I'd rather buy small batches. Mash feed doesn't seem to be available at TSC. Any suggestions?

Have you tried adding some water to make it stickier? That will also soften the larger pieces, although by 5 weeks they should manage larger pieces. Chicks do make a mess and waste a fair amount of feed. I try to feed small amounts of damp feed often rather than lots at once (but that's to stop the sparrows eating it all, my chicks are outside with a hen), but I have a sibling at home that can do that for me while I'm at work, which I understand isn't possible for everyone!

The feeder itself makes a difference too. The common round one you screw on to a jar is easier for them to scratch the food out of. My current flock is about 4-5 weeks also and I noticed at about 3 weeks they started scratching it out worse. Raised does help but the flip top one they waste less. However they will perch on it and defecate in it so be sure to offer a higher perch option to reduce that, I had a small pallet with the cross boards missing on one side, perfect. I have 29 brooding though so the TSC flip top would be a lot of feeder for 6, maybe they make a smaller one online. I like it better also because you can add feed easier vs the gravity issue with the jar style. I tried these port feeders also at about 3 weeks but it took up too much room because I am a victim of chicken math and planned on having ~14... They've recently moved into larger accommodations so I'll be trying the larger size trying to have less feces and shavings in the feed now that I have space for a couple buckets. There's a gutter diy hack out there too, I haven't watched those videos because it seems like they would waste even more but I could be wrong and there might be an improved option like adding wire to keep them from climbing in, YMMV. Good luck!

The feeder itself makes a difference too. The common round one you screw on to a jar is easier for them to scratch the food out of. My current flock is about 4-5 weeks also and I noticed at about 3 weeks they started scratching it out worse. Raised does help but the flip top one they waste less. However they will perch on it and defecate in it so be sure to offer a higher perch option to reduce that, I had a small pallet with the cross boards missing on one side, perfect. I have 29 brooding though so the TSC flip top would be a lot of feeder for 6, maybe they make a smaller one online. I like it better also because you can add feed easier vs the gravity issue with the jar style. I tried these port feeders also at about 3 weeks but it took up too much room because I am a victim of chicken math and planned on having ~14... They've recently moved into larger accommodations so I'll be trying the larger size trying to have less feces and shavings in the feed now that I have space for a couple buckets. There's a gutter diy hack out there too, I haven't watched those videos because it seems like they would waste even more but I could be wrong and there might be an improved option like adding wire to keep them from climbing in, YMMV. Good luck!
You're right about the feeder. Once the chicks found out they could scratch they went to town spreading it everywhere! I thought the ovals would work in stopping the waste, but it didn't work entirely. And now, at 5 wks, my sweet little darlings peck at the crumbles with such force it sends dozens flying out with each peck! I have watched the gutter feeder videos and I don't think they're the answer either. The port feeder looks interesting. I'm still looking for more of a mash feed that they'll eat more of without turning it into projectiles. ;)

Have you tried adding some water to make it stickier? That will also soften the larger pieces, although by 5 weeks they should manage larger pieces. Chicks do make a mess and waste a fair amount of feed. I try to feed small amounts of damp feed often rather than lots at once (but that's to stop the sparrows eating it all, my chicks are outside with a hen), but I have a sibling at home that can do that for me while I'm at work, which I understand isn't possible for everyone!
I haven't tried it yet, but I will. I've read that they eat it up like it's a rare treat! I live in Florida and I'd have to clean up the bowls almost immediately. The ants around here are vicious! Thanks for the idea!

You're right about the feeder. Once the chicks found out they could scratch they went to town spreading it everywhere! I thought the ovals would work in stopping the waste, but it didn't work entirely. And now, at 5 wks, my sweet little darlings peck at the crumbles with such force it sends dozens flying out with each peck! I have watched the gutter feeder videos and I don't think they're the answer either. The port feeder looks interesting. I'm still looking for more of a mash feed that they'll eat more of without turning it into projectiles. ;)
From what I've tried if you're talking about moist mash I'd stick with my flip top, the rectangles work better than the ovals at preventing the scratches. I don't have time for the whole soaking/fermentation thing but I believe it works.
They had a metal spinning kind at TSC that was intended to prevent the perching but I didn't want to risk any cuts on their feet/etc. I thought about wrapping the flip top with like pipe cleaners but they would just get gross. There's probably something like that option but I just got it to help until I had space for the port feeder. Got one done and put in last night. Might get another done by tomorrow but it's cold, damp and windy here in MI lately so it's not motivating weather to hang out in the garage.

Back
Top Bottom