Anyone heard of a Poultry Pod before?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by robbdebbie, Oct 21, 2009.

1. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I checked it out on ebay and it doesn't look very substantial. If you can assemble it without tools, a preditor could disasemble it very easily.

It basically made of plastic with no mention of insulation, and I don't believe it had any windows or vents. Maybe if you lived in a very mild climate and had it totally encased in a "fort knox" run, it would be acceptable.

Think the money would be much better spent on a coop made of conventional materials and sturdy framing.

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Interesting. It looks like a chicken gun safe. Not sure it would be good to use out in the open, as a substantial predator could push it around and over. But maybe if it was inside an enclosed run or kennel it would be okay. It couldn't be any worse than the chick-n-barn, and is a lot cheaper. You probably wouldn't want to use it in any area of the country with extreme temps, as i don't see insulation or a lot of ventilation.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Reminds me of those "stealth" coops disguised as garbage cans....

Good for 1 to 3 chickens.

4. Plucky Pal

Plucky Pal New Egg

Oct 23, 2008
    Georgia
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  5. indianporfavor

indianporfavor Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2010
    Riverview(Tampa Area)
    i like the idea, looks like a nice clean looking coop...but i have an issue with there statement that says 4-6 chickens, unless i missed something about the size i dont think that would be good for that many chickens...unless they include a shoe-horn to squeeze them in there

6. Want Less

Want Less Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    New Bern, NC
    Quote:lol I was thinking the same thing!

7. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I think it would do ok in a secure pen with a couple of chickens, but it could brood quite a few more for a first outside coop. It definitely has potential, but I would approach with caution.

8. LIchicken001

LIchicken001 New Egg

Feb 18, 2010
    I have one. I wanted to try the hobby at a minimum cost with not much in the carpentry skills dept. My two hens have been outside for two weeks now and enjoy it. The nights get down in the 40's and the days have been between 55-75. I was concerned about wind, so I added extra weight and placed in a position to help break the wind up. As for the predator proof, I haven't seen raccoons around here and I would agree if your area has them it would be better to place the coop inside the entire run. It is well ventilated, the back opens up as well as the two front sides. You can vent it as much or as little as you want. I've attached a picture, so far so good.....I was skeptical about it but figured I could use as a brooder if it didn't work out. I didn't want to spend the 700.00 on the eglu...My wife thinks I'm nuts as it is. These are my nephews, they like the idea.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  9. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I got mine today. It is CORPLAST, you know the plastic that is made like corregated cardboard. Definitely wouldn't stand up to a racoon, but should do well inside a secure pen for first coop-brooder for some babies. The problem is right now we have Buffalo gnats, so it may have to wait until they thin out. I will try to shoot some pics as I put it together. I may try it out on some older chicks and see how it does.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by