Anyone heard of donating pullets to people in need?

OCchickens

Songster
11 Years
Jul 19, 2008
Brea, California
I wondered whether anyone had heard of local organizations where you could donate pullets or chicks to families who wanted to start having backyard chickens to supplement their food supply. Seems like it would be good in these economic times, and I could use something to do with my surplus of hatchlings, being now hatching-addicted!
big_smile.png

Hmmmm, it sounds like a good idea but generally speaking chickens aren't really a money saving idea. With just the average sized backyard flock you'd be really, really lucky to break even on the cost of food versus the price of eggs. And if people are really in desperate straits they may be on WIC which provides free eggs. Not wanting to bash your idea, I think it's wonderful. I love the idea of people showing their children where food comes from and providing food free of additives for their families but people who are in need probably won't be able to provide for chickens.

Talk to Heifer International! Most branches will let you donate animals or money to them, (as long as the animal is female). The whole thing is based one helping people help themselves. When somebody has an animal depending on them, they usually feel more powerful and confident. The person is given a pregnant female something, and the first female offspring MUST go to a neighbor. PM me for more.

I have given some to a military family before. They had 2 girls that loved animals and they are the most spoiled pullets ever and live in the house. They send me pictures every once in a while and they are running around with diapers on!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this subject. It's true that keeping a few backyard chickens you barely break even. I was thinking of some of the other benefits, too, though, which some people mentioned, like empowerment & enjoyment. And lots of people in poor neighborhoods around where I live do keep chickens -- no problem keeping roosters in many parts of LA!

I know they do this in 3rd world countrys.
Its to help the woman usally,as most times they have few choices on employment or none at all.

Back
Top Bottom