Anyone heard of donating pullets to people in need?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by OCchickens, Apr 19, 2009.

1. OCchickens

OCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Brea, California
    I wondered whether anyone had heard of local organizations where you could donate pullets or chicks to families who wanted to start having backyard chickens to supplement their food supply. Seems like it would be good in these economic times, and I could use something to do with my surplus of hatchlings, being now hatching-addicted! [​IMG]

2. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    My concern here would be that the bird itself is the very cheapest part of keeping chickens.

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Exactly my thoughts.

4. vickie2133

vickie2133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Corbin
    I think it would be a very good idea, but haven't heard of anything like it before.

5. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmmmm, it sounds like a good idea but generally speaking chickens aren't really a money saving idea. With just the average sized backyard flock you'd be really, really lucky to break even on the cost of food versus the price of eggs. And if people are really in desperate straits they may be on WIC which provides free eggs. Not wanting to bash your idea, I think it's wonderful. I love the idea of people showing their children where food comes from and providing food free of additives for their families but people who are in need probably won't be able to provide for chickens.

6. FrizzleFreak

FrizzleFreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Talk to Heifer International! Most branches will let you donate animals or money to them, (as long as the animal is female). The whole thing is based one helping people help themselves. When somebody has an animal depending on them, they usually feel more powerful and confident. The person is given a pregnant female something, and the first female offspring MUST go to a neighbor. PM me for more.

7. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I have given some to a military family before. They had 2 girls that loved animals and they are the most spoiled pullets ever and live in the house. They send me pictures every once in a while and they are running around with diapers on!

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I think that keeping chickens is more expensive than buying them i nthe store already dressed. However, I would be willing to give away culled hens to the needy.....

9. OCchickens

OCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Brea, California
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this subject. It's true that keeping a few backyard chickens you barely break even. I was thinking of some of the other benefits, too, though, which some people mentioned, like empowerment & enjoyment. And lots of people in poor neighborhoods around where I live do keep chickens -- no problem keeping roosters in many parts of LA!

10. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    I know they do this in 3rd world countrys.
    Its to help the woman usally,as most times they have few choices on employment or none at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by