anyone heard of lazy 54 farm? (its a hatchery)

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by americana-chick, Dec 22, 2008.

1. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    i was thinking about buying some pullets on there but i wondered if anyone has ever used it, good quality?, etc. and here is the other problem i dont want 25 pullets all at once i only need about 10 or so, any suggestions on that? thanks!

link: http://lazy54farm.com/poultry.htm

2. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

No idea about the Lazy 54, but as far as order size goes, look for a neighbor or someone nearby who will split a set of 25 with you?

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    You can always put the extra up on Craigslist.

4. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Lazy 54 Farm is the new owner of Shanks Hatchery.

Shanks was around when I was a farm kid in southern Oregon. And, that was a century or so ago [​IMG].

Beyond knowing that it was there . . . I don't have any other knowledge but perhaps some BYC'ers have bought from Shanks.

As others have said, you can often work out splitting an order with others. Are you in the Willamette Valley? Somewhere in the PNW?

They may be willing to entertain visitors.

Steve

5. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    are they even selling chicks now?depends where you are
    that hatchery has been there a long time as was said
    I grew up about 20 minutes form there

6. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    i emailed them and... they were not the nicest. kinda rude actually i think i will stick with MPC because they are nicer, you can order as few as 3, and i have heard the birds are pretty good too. guess i will just wait till febuary!! thanks!
    ~Bri

7. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    The guy that runs it is very matter o fact. I have heard some good and some bad. I personally would go with a larger hatchery unless you just planned to buy from them because they are close to you.

8. crazychix

crazychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2008
    Portland, OR
    When I was the Oregon State Fair I met one of the men from Lazy 54 and he told me you could go in person
    to get the chicks and in any number you wanted. It may be different if you want to have them shipped.
    I think you need to make an appointment if you go in person and they also sell all kinds of equipment.
    If you are looking for a specific breed you will also want to contact them ahead of time as they carry different
    breeds at different times, although they will notify you if you request something specific.
    They only sell chicks though so if you are looking for chickens that are feathered out you may want to
    check Craig's List. I have not been out there but the gentleman I talked to at the fair was quite helpful.

9. sakami

sakami New Egg

Jan 16, 2009
    Last November I bought 4 chicks: 2 barred rocks & 2 australorps. We drove to the hatchery and picked them up. The people there were nice, the chicks are healthy and lovely, and the only problem is that we wanted 4 pullets but one of the sexed australorps is turning out to be a roo. I would buy chicks from them again, though.

Sarah

10. Bil

Bil Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    I've ordered 12 chicks from them for next month or so. I'll let you know once I pick them up. All my communication with them at this point has been good. I sent in my order, and they confirmed it very quickly with a telephone call.

Bil

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by