Anyone heard of sexing Khaki campbells by their bean on the bill?

This is fascinating. I have 2 KCs that are definitely male and female (impulse purchase at TSC in March from the "bulk duck bin") so I will be able to take a look at beans, feets, and heads tonight when I get home. I have 4 that are younger, I'm guessing 6-8 weeks. I *think* the oldest and largest is trying to quack - it's definitely not a rasp or a peep. I'm trying to gentle them so I don't think I'll be grabbing anyone's tail right now. They are so shy they won't even try my gift of white bread as a bribe. I'm hoping to get at least one more female for a total of 3 duck hens. The ducks lay so well through the winter - picking up the slack of my worthless chickens ;) But unfortunately we're having an awful fox problem right now. I don't let anyone out of the electrified fence because that fox (or fox family) is waiting and watching from the woods. The other day I had a hen that flew over the fence (despite me telling her that's a bad idea) and he came around the back of the shed and nabbed her when I was 20 feet away. I was able to save her though...but I've lost a lot of hens and babies this year. :hit

have heard of the bean thing but i don't think it works. my 2 khaki's are about 14 weeks and i've noticed one has a steely gray bill and the other is turning a mossy green. is the color of the bill and identifier for sex?

have heard of the bean thing but i don't think it works. my 2 khaki's are about 14 weeks and i've noticed one has a steely gray bill and the other is turning a mossy green. is the color of the bill and identifier for sex?
Yep, the green/yellow bill is the male. I have two drakes and one has a dark bean and one had a light bean.

I will confirm that the bean color means nothing. I have drakes with light beans and hens with dark beans and vice versa. I have noticed that the drakes sometimes have rust colored chest feathers. And head color in the drakes tends to be darker.

I HAVE heard of the bean thing, I just can't remember where or whether it was the dark bean that meant girl or what.
I can personally say light bean 9 out of ten times mean a drake darker usually same color as bill is a hen . I recently bought four baby khakis from tractor supply un sexed, one of the four had a pinkish brown bean . I kept a close eye one their behavior and that one in particular was always watching for danger and if you removed it from the three he would scream if I took one of the others out he would be the only one yelling , 2 weeks later today and he lets out his first low quack mixed with a chirp

I know this thread is over a year old, but I just bought 5 KC ducklings (straight run) from TC yesterday. They appeared to be Mallards and KC.

One of them has a very light/pink bean compared to their dark bill. It is the smallest of the KCs in the bin, and subsequently the very ones I brought home. It is the only one that doesn't scream in panic when I go near or pick them up. It does yell a bit but nothing like the other four. I'm going to assume it's a male for now. I know it could be a bit younger than the other four but considering how chatty the other four are and how different this one chatters (more like a drake even though they are less than a week old, like with a purring kind of noise, and also less loud chirping) I really believe I got lucky with 4 hens and one drake.

Back
Top Bottom