Anyone here been in the - ROTC - ?

User66184

Songster
9 Years
Aug 23, 2010
East Coast, Virgina
Im just wondering if anyone has been in the ROTC, If so i am wondering how old you have to be and what you have to do.....anyone?
All Ansewers appriciated
smile.png

I'm not sure how old you are, that would help. If you are in high school (where ROTC usually is offered) you should talk to your guidance counselor. They can advice you on how to go about signing up for ROTC. Its usually worth some kind of credit. I've never been in ROTC but my son and was and enjoyed it.

You can't be older than age 28 by the time of commission, I believe. Anything younger than that, enrolled in a college that has the program, and meeting physical requirements means you are fair game. I think you are talking about JROTC, jbowyer01, which is a high school program and the only benefit is if you enlist, you can get a few extra ranks. Real ROTC is an officer commissioning program.

I was in Army ROTC for three years. Three years until a heart murmur was discovered during a routine doctors appointment. They found out it was caused by mitral valve regurgitation, a defect in my mitral valve. I had to leave the program. I personally loved it though. It was tough, don't get me wrong, but I loved it.

If you are speaking of college ROTC you have 2 yrs of free room & board along with free tution until you must commit to the military. I was in the army & been married to a soldier for 12 yrs. If you actuay want to join the military do ROTC with college first!!!!! Over $1000 more a month for being commissioned. DH didn't do ROTC until he had already been on active duty for 8 yrs. Honestly I can't say anything bad about ROTC. It can only benefit your career & education.

What branch? DH was AFROTC, paid for his schooling, he loves being in the AF, did have to go to Reserves a few years ago.

ROTC is college, you start the process in HS to get a scholarship if needed. Most start around 18, you can start later.

I went through AFROTC a few decades ago. So I cannot tell you how much the program may have changed, but here is how it was in the mid '70s:

First two years do not require a committment unless you are on scholarship. You must apply for a scholarship, but there is no JROTC requirement. Scholarships available there were for Pilot and Navigator. There may have also been some for technical degree programs. These first two years are not required, but definitely helpful. Scholarships cover tuition, room, board and a monthly stipend. Last I heard, the stipend had not increased since then. More scholarships were available for the last two years than for all four years.

After your sophomore year you attend a 4 or 6 week field training course (more or less like Basic, but geared for future officers). Four weeks if you completed all 4 semesters of ROTC during your freshman and sophomore years; 6 weeks if you missed even one semester. That extra 2 weeks is for the course material you missed those 4 semesters.

Before the beginning of your junior year, you must sign a contract. At this point, you are legally obligated to serve on active duty. You will receive a monthly stipend; back then, it was sufficient for me to live on. Scholarship students had a longer obligation; not sure if it was 5 or 6 years, versus the 4 years required of non-scholarship students. Depending on your college, you may be able to achieve a minor in ROTC. Mine was strange in that if I had been a business major, it would have counted as a minor, but since I was not, it did not count--even though I had exactly the same ROTC coursework.

Don't know anything about JROTC, sorry.

Quote:
ROTC - Reserve Office Training Corps. The general term for most everything ROTC related.

JROTC - Junior ROTC. Offered in high schools. It is essentially a military science class with drills and leadership training. My Dad is a Navy JROTC instructor, so if you have any detailed questions I can ask. He also was a CO (Commanding Officer) of a Navy ROTC while he was still active duty.

AFROTC - Air Force ROTC.

NROTC- Navy ROTC.

AROTC - Army ROTC.

Quote:
ROTC=Reserve Officer Training Corp--college level commissioning program
JROTC=Junior Reserve Officer Training Corp--high school level
AFROTC=Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corp--college level commissioning program for the Air Force; courses are in the Aerospace Studies Department
NROTC=Naval Reserve Officer Training Corp--college level commissioning program for the Naval Forces (Navy & Marines (maybe Coast Guard, too?); courses are in the Naval Sciences Department
Army ROTC=Army Reserve Officer Training Corp--college level commissioning program for the Army; courses are in the Military Sciences Department

Note, the P in Corp is silent.

Back
Top Bottom