Anyone impatiently waiting for your baby chicks to arrive?!?!

I've had my first batch of chicks for two weeks now...and I LOVE it! They are so fun!

Black Copper Marans "Dahlia"

Easter Egger "Clover"

Blue Laced Red Wyandotte "Lilly"

Blue Ameraucana "Poppy"

Buff Orpington "Marigold" (Goldie)

Watching a "chick-flick"

I had the same problem, but they went in by themselves around day 6.
ya.gif
Today has been one week with my chicks. Tonight is the first time any of the chicks put themselves in the cave.
yesss.gif
I really like using this set-up. I think it has helped with stress - I haven't lost any of my chicks. They sleep all night, which I think is going to make the transition into the coop so much easier.

I was impatiently waiting for chicks a few months ago and wanted to post an update to encourage you all..

Background:

I ordered 55 chicks from ideal poultry to be shipped Mar 3rd.. There was a disaster with the order so my chicks arrived mar 10 and mar 17.. I ended up with 65. Gave 4 away, ate 4 (Cornish rocks), and had 4 die of different things (two injury, 1 predator, 1 dunno)

These are all my ideal poultry chicks taken yesterday

This a list of what I have now including the 14 I already had(indicated by '*' next to gender)

(Pullet/cockerel)

9 Russian Orloffs (2/7)
7 Dark Cornish (3/4)
3 white laced red Cornish (0/3)
5 Barred Rock (0/5)
3 White Rock (0/3*)
6 Ameraucana (1*/5)
2 Silver Duckwing Pheonix (0/2*)
5 Golden Pheonix (1/4)
9 Saipan Jungle Fowl (1/8)
7 Malay (2/5)
1 Modern Game (0/1*)
1 Golden Campine (0/1*)
1 Sicilian Buttercup (0/1*)
1 New Hampshire Red (0/1*)
2 Red Sexlink (0/2*)
1 lavender mutt (0/1*)
1 Copper Maran/Barred rock (1*/0)

I was impatiently waiting for chicks a few months ago and wanted to post an update to encourage you all..

Background:

I ordered 55 chicks from ideal poultry to be shipped Mar 3rd.. There was a disaster with the order so my chicks arrived mar 10 and mar 17.. I ended up with 65. Gave 4 away, ate 4 (Cornish rocks), and had 4 die of different things (two injury, 1 predator, 1 dunno)

These are all my ideal poultry chicks taken yesterday

This a list of what I have now including the 14 I already had(indicated by '*' next to gender)

(Pullet/cockerel)

9 Russian Orloffs (2/7)
7 Dark Cornish (3/4)
3 white laced red Cornish (0/3)
5 Barred Rock (0/5)
3 White Rock (0/3*)
6 Ameraucana (1*/5)
2 Silver Duckwing Pheonix (0/2*)
5 Golden Pheonix (1/4)
9 Saipan Jungle Fowl (1/8)
7 Malay (2/5)
1 Modern Game (0/1*)
1 Golden Campine (0/1*)
1 Sicilian Buttercup (0/1*)
1 New Hampshire Red (0/1*)
2 Red Sexlink (0/2*)
1 lavender mutt (0/1*)
1 Copper Maran/Barred rock (1*/0)
That is quite a few cockerals! Any particular reason you have so many? Is it just a preference?

That is quite a few cockerals! Any particular reason you have so many? Is it just a preference? 

The Cornish cockerels I need to cross with my rocks to make broilers.. The ameraucana cockerel I need to cross with the barred hens to get sex linked olive eggers.. The Russian Orloffs, Malay, and Saipan are for a mad scientist project I've been cooking up.. And to breed true. Also I want to cross Orloffs with ameraucana just because I think they'll be gorgeous..

I'm starting with hatchery birds so I need them to grow up before I can weed any out.. But I will still need to maintain quite a few.. Good thing all my neighbors have chickens and roos too (except one who swears she can't hear them and whom I give eggs)

Back
Top Bottom